• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Yeh. I always wanted legarms, another pair of limbs in the middle that you could use as legs, if walking on slippery surfaces say, or extra arms when doing DIY etc.
    Doc Ock style perhaps

Comment

Well this is fun. At least I have coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
        Rookie mistake - I drank all of the soup and now have the cob left over.
        Never leave a cob on...
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Lunch: sausages in finger rolls. Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
            Teams, from an external vendor
            Decamillennium!

Comment

HWMBO's shirts have been laundered and are hung up to dry. Smalls now in the WM.

Finally got around to booking my Barbour in for a rewax and zip repair so I toddled along to the Gloucester Road post office to send it off. Queue was huge so decided to do the small bit of shopping I needed to do in Waitrose in the hope it would go down. No booze offers.

Back in the Post Office the queue was marginally better but not by much.

It's clouded over now and turning grey and damp. Definitely not as nice out as this morning.

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

No idea what my speed was, as at the end I detoured a few yards to the Amazon Locker. Arriving there, I found the Amazon delivery guy was just in the process of loading parcels into it. I'd never seen this before, so I stood nearby and observed

All he does is hold the barcode on the parcel in front of the scanner, and it opens one of the compartments and he shoves it in and closes the door. This went smoothly until the last few small items in envelopes, after one of which it popped up a message asking if he'd definitely put it in (it must have been very light and the locker couldn't detect its weight). At this point, it became apparent that the touchscreen wasn't working properly, as he must have spent a good minute or so trying to tap the Yes, then the Re-open Locker, then the Cancel buttons; and none of them did anything. In the end he just sort of stepped back, looking at me and shrugging helplessly. I had a go, starting at the end of the button nearest me and moving my taps towards the centre, and on the third go it registered it!

So he and I both assumed maybe it was his hands being dirty or something… until it happened again. This time we took turns, and after dozens of taps all over the place it was one of his fingers that finally registered

Then, at the end, he checked out by scanning a QR code on the screen with his device; but then it said he had to collect a return too… which could only be done via the Open Locker button on the screen

He and I then spent a good three minutes or so taking turns trying to get it to register a touch, which it didn't. In the end, a timeout kicked in and I was finally able to try typing in my code to get my parcel. Tapping all over I eventually got it to switch to keyboard display, but it wouldn't register any touches on that, so I got the barcode from the email up on my phone and scanned that. Then I wished the bloke good luck in his endeavours and left him to it.

He's probably still there now, trying to extract a returned parcel via a non-functioning touchscreen. They really should have tied the action buttons to equivalents on the physical keypad (it has four - confirm, cancel, and so on) and the failure to do so is a usability issue IMHO

Anyway, it turned out I was there with the guy for nearly twenty minutes before I got my parcel, so I have no idea how briskly I walked as all that time had been added on for the last two-hundredths of a mile or however far it is

Comment

The afternoon is drawing to an end now, but it continued pleasant to look at with mainly blue sky and bits of fluffiness, and not too cold at 6°C without any breeze. It's nice to be able to go out for a walk at that time and still be getting back before sunset

Comment

[QUOTE=NickFitz;2853880
                    Anyway, it turned out I was there with the guy for nearly twenty minutes before I got my parcel, so I have no idea how briskly I walked as all that time had been added on for the last two-hundredths of a mile or however far it is [/QUOTE]

socially distanced, masked, and hands washed immediately after?

Comment

Finishing off the Graham's No.5 port. White port and tonic with lots of lemon and mint is a fine reminder of our holiday to Portugal. It's a lovely long and refreshing drink for a sunny day.

Comment

Working...
                      X