• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    What's wrong with the Datsun, this time?
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    WSA.
    User error I'm sorry to say.

Battery was flat as expected. Jump started fine.

Disconnect, drop the bonnet and away I go.

Except the bonnet won't close properly.

Give a shove. And another. WTF?

Oh. I didn't put the battery cover back on. It's on top of the engine block.

Can't reopen the bonnet, its caught and won't release. Unsightly bulge in the bonnet where a sleek line should be. Please don't say I've bent it.

Go back into flat. Book a cab for HWMBO. Text HWMBO to tell him a cab is picking him up. Phone my Dad to find out my options.

My Dad, as ever, is an oasis of calm. He gives me some suggestions and warns that if I've bent the bonnet, that's a new bonnet cos no-one does proper body works any more (his apprenticeship was with a coach works, painfully tapping out panels). I might get lucky and find a second hand bonnet from a car of the same colour which will save on the respray costs.

Update HWMBO while he's in the cab to mine. He barely has time to drop his stuff indoors and I have him outside to help me.

As per my Dad's instructions, HWMBO presses down on the bonnet by the catch. I pull the interior release lever and hold it while HWMBO sees how much it releases and jiggles with the previously stuck catch. The bonnet opens! Hurrah!

I put the battery cover back where it ought to be.

We close the bonnet and see if it's bent. It's not!

We test the release and reclose. All works.

Phew. Crisis averted.

Called my Dad to report the good news and thank him for his help.

I make a G&T for HWMBO.

I may buy a lottery ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      User error I'm sorry to say.

Battery was flat as expected. Jump started fine.

Disconnect, drop the bonnet and away I go.

Except the bonnet won't close properly.

Give a shove. And another. WTF?

Oh. I didn't put the battery cover back on. It's on top of the engine block.

Can't reopen the bonnet, its caught and won't release. Unsightly bulge in the bonnet where a sleek line should be. Please don't say I've bent it.

Go back into flat. Book a cab for HWMBO. Text HWMBO to tell him a cab is picking him up. Phone my Dad to find out my options.

My Dad, as ever, is an oasis of calm. He gives me some suggestions and warns that if I've bent the bonnet, that's a new bonnet cos no-one does proper body works any more (his apprenticeship was with a coach works, painfully tapping out panels). I might get lucky and find a second hand bonnet from a car of the same colour which will save on the respray costs.

Update HWMBO while he's in the cab to mine. He barely has time to drop his stuff indoors and I have him outside to help me.

As per my Dad's instructions, HWMBO presses down on the bonnet by the catch. I pull the interior release lever and hold it while HWMBO sees how much it releases and jiggles with the previously stuck catch. The bonnet opens! Hurrah!

I put the battery cover back where it ought to be.

We close the bonnet and see if it's bent. It's not!

We test the release and reclose. All works.

Phew. Crisis averted.

Called my Dad to report the good news and thank him for his help.

I make a G&T for HWMBO.

I may buy a lottery ticket.
      Tricky things, cars

This is why I try to stick to software as much as possible. Cock it up and you can just fix it and run it again

Comment

Tricky things, cars

This is why I try to stick to software as much as possible. Cock it up and you can just fix it and run it again
        Isn't that the technique used in Toyota & Lexus software?

It's a bit expensive in drivers but hey! must be better than a bowden cable from the pedal to the throttle.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Isn't that the technique used in Toyota & Lexus software?

It's a bit expensive in drivers but hey! must be better than a bowden cable from the pedal to the throttle.
          Yes, maybe I should stay away from realtime control systems too

Comment

After watching Death to 2020 on Netflix yesterday, I'm now watching the updated Anti-Viral Wipe on BBC2.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              After watching Death to 2020 on Netflix yesterday, I'm now watching the updated Anti-Viral Wipe on BBC2.
              I didn't know this was happening!

Thank you very much.

Comment

Luxury tea tonight featuring the chateaubriand my Mum had sent to me from the Scottish butchers. Very nice indeed

It was accompanied by duck-fat-roasted potato wedges, as I need to change the oil in the fryer, fried onion, and beans

Comment

Yes, maybe I should stay away from realtime control systems too
                  The really frightening thought is that I had a contract for embedded software for a surgical tool.

For three whole weeks until the immensity of it took its toll & I bailed.

The crap I write used to write and the way I used to write it isn't suitable for such things.

I'd have a go at that Boeing 737 max thing though.

After all, what could go wrong?
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    I'd have a go at that Boeing 737 max thing though.

After all, what could go wrong?
                    Nothing that hasn't already, is one way of looking at it

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      I didn't know this was happening!

Thank you very much.
                      Take an interval while watching Death to 2020 as it is 70 minutes long.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X