• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Move forward & keep your eye on the Royal Exchange pub across the road.

Google Maps
    Darn it. Pubs vanishing too. It isn't just Google SV that can be out of date. That bit of green I was planning on walking is exactly that according to Bing OS maps, with a footpath leading to some nice open access woods. Only when you switch to road view do you see that horrible estate.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
      I've been up the last four hours worrying about my uk/eu taxes and Brexit
      No point worrying about things you can't do anything about. Develop a WGAF attitude. Sit calmly, breath slowly and chant f*, f*, f*.....
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning all

I was supposed to be up bright and early (for a Saturday) to get my arse over to the British Museum for its 9 am members' only hour. I woke up on time and then fell back to sleep. Finally got up about 15 mins ago. It was a very nice sleep so I'm not sorry!

It seems bright-ish out but overcast. Dry. It's 9 degrees and that's it. It'll just get colder as the day progresses. Unlikely to rain. Barometer up to 999 mBar.

First coffee being inhaled.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          OK, here's a good one: I've always thought The Shield is an excellent series. In 2018, they rescanned the original footage in HD and released it as a Blu-ray box set… but only in the USA, and creator and showrunner Shawn Ryan said he didn't know if they'd be able to do a European release, because lawyers.

So I ordered it from Amazon.com, as it wasn't even available as an import on Amazon UK at that time, and I had to pay the delivery charge too because Prime is (or was?) country-specific. But I didn't mind, as I really wanted to have it in HD.

However, it was on Region A disks. Not a problem, I thought, I'll either get a US Blu-ray player, or get a UK one that's been made region-free. But I'd never got around to that, so for nearly two years the box set has been sat here unwatched.

The other day, Shawn Ryan tweeted about it again, looking for Christmas sales, and out of idle curiosity I had a look on Amazon UK, and it turns out it's now available here as an import. And in the reviews, most of them were for the original DVDs, but there was one from a chap who'd bought the Blu-ray set. And he mentioned that although they were supposed to be Region A, they played just fine in his UK 4K Blu-ray player…

So I just got the box, and stuck one of the disks in my 4K Blu-ray player, whose label I'd checked when I bought them and which clearly says it's Region B - and it turns out the supposed Region A disks play just fine

Ah well, I daresay it will prove to have been worth waiting two years to watch it for no good reason whatsoever
          And this was a fine tale for the 'chury. Much better than the usual drivel we come up with

Apologies for the late recognition.

Comment

Morning all

In a subtle twist of irony, I now have a laptop and ID for Client B to start on Monday but no contract, as opposed to the usual state of affairs with a new client. Legal people at both client and agency are insisting on physical signatures on the paperwork between them which is fun when everyone is working remotely. The IT guys just got on with it and sent the kit out anyway.

Ho Hum.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Morning all

In a subtle twist of irony, I now have a laptop and ID for Client B to start on Monday but no contract, as opposed to the usual state of affairs with a new client. Legal people at both client and agency are insisting on physical signatures on the paperwork between them which is fun when everyone is working remotely. The IT guys just got on with it and sent the kit out anyway.

Ho Hum.
              Have they heard of couriers? They deal with documents as well as parcels...
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Have they heard of couriers? They deal with documents as well as parcels...
                Or fax machines.

Ah.

I see a problem there.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Or fax machines.

Ah.

I see a problem there.
                  Or telex...

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey day out, damp still from overnight rain, 8°C which is as good as it's going to get

Comment

I've made the console table that I recently ordered for my living room (and was delivered yesterday). Other than some ropey instructions around the drawer runners, it was all very straightforward and quick to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X