• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Chinese

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      In the Chinese
      bugger! - is it saturday already??

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        In the Chinese
        And very nice it was, as always

Busy-ness: busy around five, then quiet, then briefly busy again, and quiet again when I was there

Originally posted by jainnode View Post
        bugger! - is it saturday already??
        Must be

Comment

I am so full. I think I should change my CUK username to MsCreosote.

Comment

Spent most of the day gardening/repairing storm damage.

Now I’m William Buggered.

TFBSZ
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Entertainment (continued): being "Borderline (1979)" with that Charles Bronson, Ed Harris (introducing no less), Wilfred Brimble, and the chap who played Hector Ruiz in HSB.

This last didn't make it to the end of this one either. .

Amusing enough & a damn sight more inneresting than yesterday's Bronson offering of "Chino".

This one was about the US Border Control, wetbacks, and nasty traffickers.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 August 2020, 23:20.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tonight's first big feature was Radioactive (2019), which I thought was very good, but suspect played fast and loose with history from time to time

It certainly triggered one of my pet peeves by relying at certain points on depictions of newspapers which had page layouts that would not have been seen in those days. Most aspects of newspaper page layout that we take for granted originated in the 1960s, and when I see such a layout being used as a cinematic device in a scene set in the late 19th century or some such, it really annoys me; it's lazy screenwriting to use such a layout as a device for storytelling when it's so anachronistic

Also, if you're going to use "old" typefaces to make your 19th century newspapers look more realistic, try not to use typefaces that were created in the 1920s

And a bit of letterpress printing and a bit less brown paper would help; everything was letterpress then, but the "newspapers" in the film looked laser printed. And old newspapers only look brown because the paper has oxidised over the years. When they were new, they were white.

I should get a contract advising people making films how to make their newspapers look real

But apart from that crap, I thought it was very good

And to follow, I rewatched The Mummy (2017), which I strongly suspect of being wholly unrealistic in respect of history, archaeology, anthropology, aerodynamics, and magic. But it's good fun despite those obvious failings

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

^^^ Not to mention having news of the front page of old copies of The Thunderer!

It should be covered in adverts.

The decline of Empire began when they put news there instead.

Harumph.

Morning all

Dry as in no current precipitation.

Merely breezy rather than three quarters of a gale.

Grey.

Very grey.

Sunless.

Slightly cooler at 21 deg, to the extent that the duvet was necessary early this morning.

Barometer showing 1014 mBar.

Judging by the crap coming out of the wireless it's Sunday all over again again.

Will this endless joy never cease?
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning
                      bright and breezy here today

Comment

Working...
                      X