• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    No telly tonight, apart from some thing about what deathtraps Victorian homes were on iPlayer whilst dining. But a further chunk of Das Boot read

21°C outside, 25° in here, and no thunderstorm

Goodnight all
    The dangers of Victorian homes is not exactly in depth. It is shocking how close we still are. One of Mrs V's clients (with a Baby and a young lad) rents a Victorian home and had a water leak. She mentioned the main pipe was lead, the Landlord isn't going to change it and I was horrified. How are tenants supposed to live in such danger, surely its something Landlords should fix?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Bedding wash on

It's a good day for drying stuff on the line as the sun has now emerged, at least to some extent (there's still a high haze), and it's warming up rapidly (22°C outside, 27° in here). But I don't suppose there'll be room, as a couple of the other flats seem to do inordinate amounts of laundry so I hardly ever see the lines vacant.

Upstairs, in particular, seem to have the washing machine on at least once every single day. No idea why, there's only the two of them

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        The dangers of Victorian homes is not exactly in depth. It is shocking how close we still are. One of Mrs V's clients (with a Baby and a young lad) rents a Victorian home and had a water leak. She mentioned the main pipe was lead, the Landlord isn't going to change it and I was horrified. How are tenants supposed to live in such danger, surely its something Landlords should fix?
        It's a bit popsci-meets-history and apparently there was a previous programme, which probably had the most interesting stuff in it, so this one (up to the point I've watched) has just been about stuff like food adulteration, TB in milk, and steep and uneven staircases for servants. But it's mildly interesting enough for when I'm eating and don't really focus that closely on the burbling coming out of the box

Comment

More grass seed and lawn sand bought from Wilko.

And a washable face covering that might come in handy.

Or facey as the case may be.

Very hot and quite sweaty now, after a brief walk down to town.

Lunch: Heinz tomato soup with a touch of chilli (found some at last), Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, yellow corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

<hiatus>

I rather enjoyed that.

Very hot now.

And some scumbag is ringing my phone.

003. NZ apparently.

Dunno anyone in NZ.

Makes a change from Germany & Russia wherein I know no one too.

10 dangerous things in Victorian/Edwardian homes - BBC News

I've got a lead water service.

It makes the water sweeter.

Changing it to alkathene is a definite change.

I'd have to dig up the side passage to change it.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 August 2020, 11:24.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

It's a bit popsci-meets-history and apparently there was a previous programme, which probably had the most interesting stuff in it, so this one (up to the point I've watched) has just been about stuff like food adulteration, TB in milk, and steep and uneven staircases for servants. But it's mildly interesting enough for when I'm eating and don't really focus that closely on the burbling coming out of the box

Hey if its a choice between Miss Lipscomb staring into the camera and David Starkey, well for visuals Mr Starkey definitely loses! He also always comes across as quite arrogant but does seem to know his stuff.

And Suzannah Lipscomb like Lucy Worsley seems to pick history close to my heart. Whilst its interesting which alliance King X got into, how their breeches & chairs fit makes them more real.

It also makes history more approachable for girls which can't be a bad thing.

To be fair to other female historians and not totally sexist Mary Beard & Ruth Goodman are actually quite informative & animated and well worth a watch as well.

Big Dan Snow fan as well!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              More grass seed and lawn sand bought from Wilko.

And a washable face covering that might come in handy.

Or facey as the case may be.

Very hot and quite sweaty now, after a brief walk down to town.

Lunch: Heinz tomato soup with a touch of chilli (found some at last), Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, yellow corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

<hiatus>

I rather enjoyed that.

Very hot now.

And some scumbag is ringing my phone.

003. NZ apparently.

Dunno anyone in NZ.

Makes a change from Germany & Russia wherein I know no one too.

10 dangerous things in Victorian/Edwardian homes - BBC News

I've got a lead water service.

It makes the water sweeter.

Changing it to alkathene is a definite change.

I'd have to dig up the side passage to change it.

You didn't go full McAffee?

Comment

Hey if its a choice between Miss Lipscomb staring into the camera and David Starkey, well for visuals Mr Starkey definitely loses! He also always comes across as quite arrogant but does seem to know his stuff.

And Suzannah Lipscomb like Lucy Worsley seems to pick history close to my heart. Whilst its interesting which alliance King X got into, how their breeches & chairs fit makes them more real.

It also makes history more approachable for girls which can't be a bad thing.

To be fair to other female historians and not totally sexist Mary Beard & Ruth Goodman are actually quite informative & animated and well worth a watch as well.

Bettany Hughs is very good as well, especially on the Ancient Greek and Roman stuff.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Chicken and barley soup with the usual bits of bead for lunch

Getting hotter here now

Comment

Chicken and barley soup with the usual bits of bead for lunch
                    Bread, actually

Comment

I fear we differ on that.

Especially after his tosh on railways.

Not a mention of bubble fronted DMUs which is inneresting.

I rather enjoyed this too:

BBC Four - In Search of Medieval Britain, West Country
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 August 2020, 12:23.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X