• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost excessive amounts of telly tonight, starting with S1E1 of A House Through Time. Early last year, an old friend of mine recommended it to me having been reminded of it by the advent of S2, but it wasn't on iPlayer any more and I had to make do with S2, which was still very good but not about Liverpool. Turns out the Beeb repeated S1 recently but E1 is only available till Monday, so hurry while stocks last

And after that I saw off S2 of Hanna with You're With Us Now (TV Episode 2020), Tacitus (TV Episode 2020), and The List (TV Episode 2020). It's good enough entertainment, but it really stretches one's willingness to believe when we're supposed to accept that the CIA has what are constantly represented as complex and sophisticated security systems and protocols that are then circumvented by the most trivial of ruses.

The scriptwriters really need to be kicked up the arse about that; they could have presented exactly the same story in a more convincing way if they'd just put in the effort to make it hard for the characters to get through the systems. We're all willing to accept a little sleight of hand in the plot, but a lot of the ways through in this were just lazy writing. It was enjoyable enough, but come on people, do the work

And finally S1E4 of HSB, Can World War III Be an Attitude? (TV Episode 1981). This has no subtitles, and the audio is mono and suitable for 1980s TVs that had a single speaker (usually pointing out of the side of the box), and that doesn't seem to work well with my fancy soundbar and hearing aids. But I played around a bit and, by setting the treble and bass and subwoofer levels at insane points of their respective scales, I came up with something usable. I'll probably spend the next couple of days wondering why the sound is so off, having forgotten doing so, then forget to make a note of the settings for the next time I want to watch 1980s telly

Goodnight all
    Last edited by NickFitz; 30 July 2020, 02:43.

Comment

Morning all

Clear blue sky out there. Currently 19 degrees with a forecast high of 28 later Barometer has dropped a little to 1017 mBar. No precipitation expected today.

First coffee going tepid.

Busy day at work coming up - it's my last day in the office (WFH office, not client office) before my holiday of DOOM. HWMBO is trying to decide whether to quarantine with me on our return or go back home directly.

Comment

Morning all
        Beautiful day out, lovely long walk earlier.

EPC lady was impressed with the number of LELs we had, but was saying her calculations would take some time given the different ages and types of construction of parts of the house.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          And finally S1E4 of HSB, Can World War III Be an Attitude? (TV Episode 1981). This has no subtitles, and the audio is mono and suitable for 1980s TVs that had a single speaker (usually pointing out of the side of the box), and that doesn't seem to work well with my fancy soundbar and hearing aids. But I played around a bit and, by setting the treble and bass and subwoofer levels at insane points of their respective scales, I came up with something usable. I'll probably spend the next couple of days wondering why the sound is so off, having forgotten doing so, then forget to make a note of the settings for the next time I want to watch 1980s telly

Goodnight all
          In the later seasons it gets stereo and I've noticed that if one has it loud enough to understand (most of, not all) the dialogue, when the fun bits start one is very likely to go deaf with the loudness of the music.

Also there's no subtitles on S4, 5, & 6, which is a disadvantage.

Morning all

Dry.

Was sunny, now dull.

White sky.

Thursday.

The refuse disposal engineers were rather late today.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny out, some clouds floating about but it's already 21°C and due to hit 27° this afternoon

Comment

Strewth, it's a bit warm out there Bruce.

Walk walked, though not quite as far as yesterday since I had to venture into the woods rather than sticking to the road up to the res, and the path to the res that goes that way is muddy.

Might dig out the mower and mow the lawns before lunch.

Comment

Scaffolders taking down the scaffolding

Sun shining and my afternoon is full of conf calls.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Strewth, it's a bit warm out there Bruce.

Might dig out the mower and mow the lawns before lunch.
                  For "a bit" read "very".

Lunch: lentil <pffffft> soup, ham and mustard sandwich on (stale) Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, prune yog, bramble jelly sandwich or two, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

I'll be extracting the mower from the garage at about 14:00.

Comment

Exercise bicycling done, green ring closed

Up to 24°C here now

Comment

And a light lunch of sausages in finger rolls

Comment

Working...
                      X