• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch: Heinz Lentil (notso<pffft>) soup, ham and mustard sandwich on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, pippy red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Shirts out of the WM and into the TD, now out of the TD and awaiting a little rough ironing.

Cottons in the WM, out in 45 minutes or so.

The painting of the porch has proceeded apace, with the first coat of what is probably not the right kind of paint duly applied.

The 2nd coat will go on tomorrow.

It's as rough as a badger's arse but will have to do.

Nobody sees it apart from me so it doesn't really matter very much.

I failed to mention yesterday excitement of the living room CFL giving up the ghost in a very laid back manner, just flickering once, then going off, never to work again.

This is a rather better demise than that displayed by the Crap Everready tungsten Lightbulbs of yore, which, being fuseless, explode out of the fitting in a million pieces, with the bayonet cap remaining unmoved with a nice little circle of shards preventing its extraction without the use of a pair of pliers, having made very sure that it's switched off first.

I say again: Everready tungsten Lightbulbs are crap.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 July 2020, 12:45.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

On a conf call earlier and just before it ended, one of the permies on it asked an idiotic question.
      While on the call I was messaging the Finance lead, checking on the status of various pieces of work.
      As the question was asked, the finance guy messaged me "Oh, ffs"
      I thought he was talking about the question, so I told him to bite his lip and say nothing.
      His reply "it's a no ball"

At which point I realised he'd been watching cricket for the last hour.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Exercise bicycling done, green ring closed

And wholemeal toast for lunch, because it's quick and I'm busy

Comment

Rough ironing done, shirts hung up on hangers from the picture rail in the bedroom.

Cottons out of the WM into the TD, out of the TD now airing over the banisters.

Freecell score: 100%, running average 83% (83.3%).

Sunny, almost Simpsonsesque out there at the moment.

Probly lulling everyone into a false sense of security.

Elbows now complaining mightily about the painting eariler.

They'd better buck their ideas up coz there's more to do tomorrow.

Dehumidifier in the porch drying the paint off.

Almost tempted to go for a walk.

Comment

It went grey again here for a while around lunchtime, but now it's back to sunny and Simpsonesque

Comment

Tea: Tesco chunky battered haddock (oddly square), orange segments and custard, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Now convinced that "The Second Sleep" is future history.

Or iHistory if you prefer.

"Earth Abides" is still possible though.

Originally posted by Wiki
              On the first page Stewart tells readers how contagion could bring the end very quickly for mankind:
              Originally posted by W. M. Stanley, in Chemical and Engineering News, December 22, 1947.
              "If a killing type of virus strain should suddenly arise by mutation...it could, because of the rapid transportation in which we indulge nowadays, be carried to the far corners of the earth and cause the deaths of millions of people."
              Within a few pages he makes it clear that basic biology applies to humans too:

"Some zoologists have even suggested a biological law: that the number of individuals in a species never remains constant, but always rises and falls—the higher the animal and the slower its breeding-rate, the longer its period of fluctuation [...]

As for man, there is little reason to think that he can in the long run escape the fate of other creatures, and if there is a biological law of flux and reflux, his situation is now a highly perilous one....

Biologically, man has for too long a time been rolling an uninterrupted run of sevens."
              Oooops.

It's being so cheerful that keeps me going.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 July 2020, 17:17.

Comment

Just looked outside for the first time since this morning and there appears to be some kind of sunshine thing going on.

Forecast for tomorrow looks nice.

Comment

Entertainment: HSB S3 E13; "Gung Ho" wherein a rookie gets killed and Belker meets his soul mate.

Now: Roswell: New Mexico S2 E3 "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"

Comment

I've been wrestling for hours with this problem which, the more I got into it, seemed increasingly likely to need some clever SQL to solve it; cleverer than I seemed to be able to manage, at any rate

Eventually I realised what time it was and decided to get the dinner on, i.e. heat up something from the freezer. Having stuck that in the microwave, I thought Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties might be a place to look for inspiration. Dug it out, glanced through the table of contents, saw something that seemed to relate to what I needed, turned to the relevant chapter… and it was indeed just the thing. Back to the computer, and within a minute I'd got my nefarious query working exactly as required

I just needed to add a WHERE NOT EXISTS (subquery) inside another subquery in the end, but I don't use SQL often enough for that kind of thing to be second nature

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I've been wrestling for hours with this problem which, the more I got into it, seemed increasingly likely to need some clever SQL to solve it; cleverer than I seemed to be able to manage, at any rate

Eventually I realised what time it was and decided to get the dinner on, i.e. heat up something from the freezer. Having stuck that in the microwave, I thought Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties might be a place to look for inspiration. Dug it out, glanced through the table of contents, saw something that seemed to relate to what I needed, turned to the relevant chapter… and it was indeed just the thing. Back to the computer, and within a minute I'd got my nefarious query working exactly as required

I just needed to add a WHERE NOT EXISTS (subquery) inside another subquery in the end, but I don't use SQL often enough for that kind of thing to be second nature
                      Did you remember to get your dinner out of the microwave?

Comment

Working...
                      X