• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea has been the last of the roast pork joint (apart from a small amount held back for a butty tomorrow), reheated, with fried potatoes, peas, and gravy. I messed up the timings so the pork was reheated for longer than it should have been, drying it out slightly, but the gravy helped to compensate for that and it was all very tasty overall

Comment

In other other news, the impression I had of some claps of thunder at about 18:00 turned out to be correct because a house was struck by lightning in Gorseinon.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        It wasn't in either, thankfully.

It's now back in the chuck of the drill where it's supposed to be.

Nicely swooped

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Due to a chat last weekend, it appears I have someone wanting to buy my house.
          Ooh. Do you want to move? How will all your birds take it? Will you cook them to make them easier to transport?

Comment

Beautiful full moon just rising over the roof of the carpet shop (northern part)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              But do you actually want to sell it?

You could always move in with the guinea fowl I suppose
              Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Ooh. Do you want to move? How will all your birds take it? Will you cook them to make them easier to transport?
              The plan was that we’d stay here for about 15 years then move to somewhere with a bit more land - room for maybe 100 vines and a decent orchard.

We’re here over 10 years, so it’s ahead of schedule, but so what?

As for the 4 houses in the Surrey hills, if we sell one, we might throw in another free (the original wooden chicken house) and take the others with us (recycled plastic ones)
              I’m not sure we could catch the guineas to take them with us - oh dear, how sad, never mind. But the chickens would be welcome to come with us.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                The plan was that we’d stay here for about 15 years then move to somewhere with a bit more land - room for maybe 100 vines and a decent orchard.

We’re here over 10 years, so it’s ahead of schedule, but so what?

As for the 4 houses in the Surrey hills, if we sell one, we might throw in another free (the original wooden chicken house) and take the others with us (recycled plastic ones)
                I’m not sure we could catch the guineas to take them with us - oh dear, how sad, never mind. But the chickens would be welcome to come with us.
                I'll pop round and catch them for you. Got the perfect pot to put them in

Comment

Tonight's first epic movie was Serpico (1973), the true story of a New York cop who exposed corruption and was shot (though not fatally) for his pains

To follow, one that I've watched several times before but I like it so why not watch it again: In Time (2011).

It occurred to me while watching the latter that it also features a character who is an incorruptible cop; yet in the context of that story, this is clearly seen to be a Bad Thing, whereas Frank Serpico's incorruptibility is clearly a Good Thing. The distinction, I think, lies in the fact that Serpico believes that his duty is to protect and serve the people of New York, whereas the cop in the latter strives to protect and serve the system, and regards the people as expendable for that purpose. That is, of course, the ultimate goal of capitalism. Serpico served in a time when capitalism, though wholly embraced by the USA, was nonetheless seen only as an economic system, distinct from society per se, whereas in In Time society is nothing but capitalism, for all life is literally dependent on it; and indeed, many capitalists in the USA seem to seek to achieve that goal now

And finally, Sam Whyte, who I follow on Twitter, asserted there that "'Del Boy Falls Through The Bar' is actually one of the best and most socially interesting episodes of Only Fools and Horses" which inspired me to watch it (S6E1 Yuppy Love) again and conclude that yes, she's right, and in relation to the above it also suggests why we, as a nation, have perhaps been less susceptible than the Americans to the pernicious attempts of the capitalists to render the whole of society subservient to their economic interests: because we are able to perceive the ridiculousness of such a notion - and, better still, have writers and a broadcaster who will present to us the most perfect delineation of just how ridiculous it is

The next TPD Media Studies class will be whenever I get around to it

Goodnight all

Comment

Darn it. Need a new mouse ASAP but local computer shops all closed. Homebase is open and has mouse traps, any way I could adapt one of those?
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Darn it. Need a new mouse ASAP but local computer shops all closed. Homebase is open and has mouse traps, any way I could adapt one of those?
                      Tesco stock mouses.

Morning all

Cold.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Dreadful.

Wet.

Windy.

Wednesday Saturday.

<hiatus>

Stone me, it's 17.6 deg in here this morning.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 June 2020, 09:11.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X