• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I would prefer go to the market because I like to try and support the small traders. Although my local ones seem to be doing a roaring trade and it can be quicker and less risky to go the supermarket!
    I believe the food hall at the market (it’s in the indoors bit) has stewards guarding the doors to enforce one-in-one-out and make sure people stay away from each other, so it’s probably no different to going to Sainsbury’s

Also, if I choose my route well, it’s quite a nice walk into town and back so it can count as daily exercise. Though the city council has suspended all parking charges for the duration, so I could be lazy and take the car, then do the supermarkets afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I believe the food hall at the market (it’s in the indoors bit) has stewards guarding the doors to enforce one-in-one-out and make sure people stay away from each other, so it’s probably no different to going to Sainsbury’s
      I suppose if one counts fruit and veg as food, it should properly be called the meat, fish, game, and dairy hall - the plant-based food area is outside, and considerably more extensive, as you can see on Street View: Google Maps

Last time I was there, almost all those stalls were empty with about eight traders clustered in the middle

Comment

I suppose if one counts fruit and veg as food, it should properly be called the meat, fish, game, and dairy hall - the plant-based food area is outside, and considerably more extensive, as you can see on Street View: Google Maps

Last time I was there, almost all those stalls were empty with about eight traders clustered in the middle
        I hope they clustered in a socially distanced manner...

Comment

I hope they clustered in a socially distanced manner...
          I suspect market traders are immune to just about anything after years of handling people’s change all day, but yes, the way the stalls are arranged allows them to remain reasonably distant from each other

Comment

It seems quite busy out today - fair bit of traffic, and a steady flow of pedestrians. Lock ‘em all up!

Except the two chaps who just headed back to their parked car with a takeaway from the Polish café, that’s legit

Comment

Tea: bol with almost the last of that gluten free wheat free egg free spag.

I must be getting used to it as it seemed ok today, the bol having become quite fiery during its sojourn in the freezer for the last week.

Sweet: couple of yogurts, followed by 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The araldyte repair to the kettle seems to have worked for the moment.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

An hour and ten minutes on the phone!

The parentals are ok though, so that's good. I have secured the barometer that used be in my Nan's flat. My Dad had taken it out as he didn't want it to go to the charity shop but also didn't really have a place for it. Something else to pick up should I ever be allowed to visit them.

An early dinner was had about 4pm as I realised I'd not eaten since toast this morning. Just pasta and pesto, finishing up the last dregs of both.

Open University work... I've started writing an essay about protein phosphorylation. I hate writing essays.

Comment

Just been out for a walk

There was an ambulance and police at the scene of a minor-looking RTC, at a junction where one would think it almost impossible to have an RTC when travelling from the direction from which it had occurred, as one has a clear view across playing fields on approach and when stopped there. But idiots will find a way, I suppose

More significantly: the chip shop located at that junction was open!

It’s not the best chip shop around here, but all the others are closed so I suppose it becomes the best by default now

So as I’ve been craving fish & chips because I can’t get them, I might be paying them a visit - unless the craving subsides now I know I can get them

And then back past the Chinese, and someone was in there! A chap behind the counter, looking through what I assume were order slips from the JustEat machine; he was around that spot behind the counter. I think he’s the bloke from the kitchen that I almost never see.

Their FB page has no updates. The order link from there goes to a FlipDish site with their branding which was updated yesterday to not accept orders before the end of the month. But JustEat shows them accepting orders, though collection only.

So what might have happened is none of the front of house people or delivery people are coming in, but the kitchen is accepting orders from JustEat and, presumably, handing them through a door opened just a few inches when one knocks or some such. Anyway, I shall try placing an order tonight. If I get it, fine; if not, I shall heat up something out of the freezer

Comment

An hour and ten minutes on the phone!

The parentals are ok though, so that's good. I have secured the barometer that used be in my Nan's flat. My Dad had taken it out as he didn't want it to go to the charity shop but also didn't really have a place for it. Something else to pick up should I ever be allowed to visit them.

An early dinner was had about 4pm as I realised I'd not eaten since toast this morning. Just pasta and pesto, finishing up the last dregs of both.

Open University work... I've started writing an essay about protein phosphorylation. I hate writing essays.
                    Drive over there, get them to put the barometer outside and retreat back into their lair, and drive back with it

Or just get them on Zoom and have them prop the barometer in front of their webcam. Then you can call it when you want to know what the atmospheric pressure is where they are

Comment

So what might have happened is none of the front of house people or delivery people are coming in, but the kitchen is accepting orders from JustEat and, presumably, handing them through a door opened just a few inches when one knocks or some such. Anyway, I shall try placing an order tonight. If I get it, fine; if not, I shall heat up something out of the freezer
                      Hmm… maybe not. JustEat looks like it’s accepting orders until you try to start one, whereupon it tells you it isn’t

Maybe he was just in there checking the place hadn’t been burgled or something

Comment

Working...
                      X