• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    My O2 level appears to be between 98% and 99% depending on which finger I use and how well I position it
    I have long been assured the key to a long life is to keep breathing in and out.

It seems no less true than ever before.

Keep it up. Keep on having birthdays.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Hmmm. I was sure page 32767 would be followed by page -32768.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        32767 (depending on how many posts per page you're displaying) was days ago!

Comment

I have long been assured the key to a long life is to keep breathing in and out.

Hello stranger, good to see you again.

SpO2: 96% at the moment.

I'm sure it used to be 98% last year.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Entertainment: possibly more Civilisation, more Simon Schama's History of Britain, and Wonderfalls.
          No Civilisation,

Simon Schama's History of Britain: Dynasty, being the tale of Henry II and Thomas a Becket,

Wonderfalls: "Lying Pig" and "Cocktail Bunny".

Only two more eps to go.

Now watching some chap waffling on about the history of archaeology on BBC4.

Apparently he's in some museum or other looking at the nails from the one true cross.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 April 2020, 21:09.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Hi RC!

Thanks, I shall try my best to follow your excellent advice

It should have really.

Comment

I quite often treat myself to a takeaway on my birthday, but with all the Chineses and chip shops shut that wasn’t an option. So instead, I had a couple of Barnsley chops, bought on the market in early March before we were all sealed in, with chips, peas, and gravy. Very nice they were

The cake has been cut and does indeed seem a little denser than I remember it being last time, though still good enough to eat. I just remembered that nearly half of the flour I used was from the back of the cupboard and rather old (BBE some time in 2018 I think) so maybe that didn’t help

Comment

Tonight’s birthday viewing started with a rewatch of Kong: Skull Island (2017), because what could be better birthday viewing than a Giant Ape? An exceptionally fine Giant Ape in this case, bringing a whole new dimension to the concept of Monkey Life

N.B. For the avoidance of doubt, apes are not monkeys, it’s a joke about the TV programme filmed at Monkey World, which is itself not a world of monkeys as it has apes too and was in fact founded as an ape sanctuary. It’s all very complicated, but I strongly suspect neither the apes nor the monkeys give a tulip.

And after that, one of those two-parters where I think I’ll just watch the first part but end up watching both because it’s so good: Code of a Killer (TV Mini-Series 2015), an ITV dramatisation of the investigation of the rapes and murders of Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth, and Alec Jeffries’ development of DNA fingerprinting that led to the arrest and conviction of Colin Pitchfork for those crimes by a rather circuitous route - Pitchfork (what a name for a nascent serial killer to have) got somebody else to take the police blood test in his place, but that bloke then blabbed about it in the pub.

A lot of this was filmed on the university campus, carefully so as to make it look just as it was at the time, which was weird as I was still a student there at the time of Lynda Mann’s murder (which is when Jeffries was doing the research) and my girlfriend was at the time of Dawn Ashworth’s (which is when the police had learned of his research and asked for his help) so it all seemed very familiar. But back then the signage around campus was different to what it was at the time of filming, the Attenborough Tower in which I spent all my academic time didn’t have that blue film lining its windows (an energy saving insulation thing, I believe), and the trees lining the path across Victoria Park had only recently been planted (during my first or second year, can’t remember which) whereas they were full-grown here.

Furthermore, the Leicester Mercury’s pages were bigger than that. And the page the copper looks at about the new technique this guy at the university has developed includes a paragraph about Leicestershire Constabulary using it to eliminate people from their enquiries, which is what the very story he’s reading is supposed to be inspiring him to do. In fact, it includes it several times as the same text is repeated over and over again. Props people: do better

And there were a few other things like that which, if you lived here at the time, gave a bit of an Uncanny Valley effect. And of course various occurrences will have been conflated for dramatic purposes.

But leaving that aside, as none of it matters if you weren’t at Leicester Uni in the early 1980s and/or don’t live near the Narborough/Enderby/Littlethorpe nexus, I thought it was exceptionally good

One last thing, though: it was a shame they didn’t bother dramatising the actual moment when someone overhears the stooge bragging in the pub about having given a blood test in Pitchfork’s place, as that happened in the Clarendon, which I used to go to now and then at the time as I only lived a couple of streets away. According to the local rag there’s now some vague local movement to have the place blue-plaqued for its moment in eavesdropping history, but I think that’s just silly

Goodnight all

Comment

Good morning all!

Daily Report
                  ########

Location - WFH

Weather - Bright and sunny(ish)

Parish Notes - I'm getting genuinely fed up of WFH when offspring is SFH. "Dad...?" FFS, it's worse than having a troop of apprentices to look after! We have a daily scrum via webex and as all of us are WFH - saving the company a small fortune; there are all sorts of domestic sounds in the background! FFS, I don't want to listen to your kids thundering around while you're giving your report!

Also, I'm waking at ungodly hours to get some work done, answering emails before the sparrow has cracked its first early morning fart! Merging code while it's still dark outside!

Anyway, I hope you lot are coping better than I am.

Let's be careful out there...
                  Last edited by Zigenare; 23 April 2020, 08:12.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Morning all
                    CBS, etc.
                    The Dog (tw) woke me early so we went out for a big walk (over 6.5km), came back in and baked the sourdough I started yesterday. Looks good.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Good morning fine folk

Oh bring back the days when there was something other than sunshine and blue skies only kidding.

13 degrees at the moment, I didn't bother looking at the forecast but the radio implied more of the same as yesterday but less windy.

I have knocked up a batch of dough to see how my second starter attempt has gone and the left over starter is in the fridge to hibernate.

First coffee in the process of being drunk. Customary biscuit (2 x M&S almond biscuits) eaten.

Comment

Working...
                      X