• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see my Mum wasn't missing much on the telly on the day I was born

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Morning all glorious out.
      Took the loaf of bread out of the oven earlier. It looks good.
      My second attempt at a starter is looking better. I can't remember what day I started it though. Is it ok to try using it if it's looking nice and bubbly even if it may be a couple of days early?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        My second attempt at a starter is looking better. I can't remember what day I started it though. Is it ok to try using it if it's looking nice and bubbly even if it may be a couple of days early?
        Yes, make sure you have enough starter that after you've taken out to make the first loaf, you still have enough left to keep it going.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes, make sure you have enough starter that after you've taken out to make the first loaf, you still have enough left to keep it going.
          I was reading about this the other day - essentially keeping dough from a previous loaf to use as the raising agent for the next one.

Basic Old Dough Sourdough | Recipe | Cuisine Fiend

That works with any yeasted dough, regardless of whether it came from a packet or fresh London air

EDIT: This is also interesting, someone comparing the old dough (pate fermentee) method with normal sourdough
          "Old Dough" vs. Natural Levain | The Fresh Loaf
          Last edited by ladymuck; 16 April 2020, 10:16.

Comment

Here's the current recipe:
            Sourdough

Take your starter and build it - add 20-50g of plain flour and similar quantity of water each day, stir it in well, then loosely cover. Leave in the kitchen at room temperature. It will have bubbles in it. If you want to take a break, put it in the fridge to slow it down.

To make the bread
            Add 200g of starter, 400g of extra strong white bread flour (my current mix is 100g of wholemeal bread flour and 300g of white bread flour just cause I've got wholemeal to use up, but don't put in more than 100g of it as it's too heavy for the loaf), 250ml water (was 260, might reduce it to 240) and optionally a teaspoon of local honey. Roughly mix then let stand for 20-60min. This lets the gluten start to form. Now add 10g salt - try not to forget!

Now do some dough stretches 10 stretches rotating the bowl 90 degrees each time. (I use a KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook for 5 mins at a time) 20-40 min rest then another 10. Do this 4 times in total. Prove for 8hrs or so at room temp until doubled.
            Then form the dough into a large loaf.
            Put it upside down into a flour lined basket, proving baskets are best for this stage, alternatively a basket lined with a flour-dusted tea towel. Leave for 4-5hrs at room temp (or overnight)
            Heat two trays in oven at max temp. Turn out loaf onto top tray and deeply score surface. Add half a cup boiling water to the lower tray. Add loaf to oven then cook at 180C for 35-45 min, until it sounds hollow when tapping the bottom of it
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I can see my Mum wasn't missing much on the telly on the day I was born
              Yes, the schedule was quite limited in the days of the Baird system

Comment

Here's the current recipe:
                Sourdough

Take your starter and build it - add 20-50g of plain flour and similar quantity of water each day, stir it in well, then loosely cover. Leave in the kitchen at room temperature. It will have bubbles in it. If you want to take a break, put it in the fridge to slow it down.

To make the bread
                Add 200g of starter, 400g of extra strong white bread flour (my current mix is 100g of wholemeal bread flour and 300g of white bread flour just cause I've got wholemeal to use up, but don't put in more than 100g of it as it's too heavy for the loaf), 250ml water (was 260, might reduce it to 240) and optionally a teaspoon of local honey. Roughly mix then let stand for 20-60min. This lets the gluten start to form. Now add 10g salt - try not to forget!

Now do some dough stretches 10 stretches rotating the bowl 90 degrees each time. (I use a KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook for 5 mins at a time) 20-40 min rest then another 10. Do this 4 times in total. Prove for 8hrs or so at room temp until doubled.
                Then form the dough into a large loaf.
                Put it upside down into a flour lined basket, proving baskets are best for this stage, alternatively a basket lined with a flour-dusted tea towel. Leave for 4-5hrs at room temp (or overnight)
                Heat two trays in oven at max temp. Turn out loaf onto top tray and deeply score surface. Add half a cup boiling water to the lower tray. Add loaf to oven then cook at 180C for 35-45 min, until it sounds hollow when tapping the bottom of it

My starter failed as it turned out room temperature in a tight Northern bastards house (about 62 degrees) is too cold, been testing various spots around the house to find places nearer the 80 degrees needed, but will also use warm water next time as well to help it along
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Lunch: More of Sunday's roast beef with horseradish sauce on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower seed and spelt bread.

The last sandwich had rather more horseradish than expected :cry:

Yogurt, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Tea: shall be chilli con carne with rice, since the chilli is simmering on the hob at this very moment, ready for 18:00 this evening.

Note to self: don't fecking forget it's there this time.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    My starter failed as it turned out room temperature in a tight Northern bastards house (about 62 degrees) is too cold, been testing various spots around the house to find places nearer the 80 degrees needed, but will also use warm water next time as well to help it along
                    Got an airing cupboard?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      The following day was a momentous one on BBC1, for it saw the first ever broadcast of The Wombles: BBC One London - 5 February 1973 - BBC Genome

Later in the year the Three-Day Week started and TV had to shut down at 22:30, but that isn’t reflected in the Radio Times listings, which would have already been printed when the measures were introduced on 17 December 1973, until 5 January 1974
                      Oddly on December 17th they broadcast "The Swimmer" a rather obscure Bert Lancaster epic, which even more oddly, was on one of the movie channels last night.

Spooky.

The assembled congregation will be pleased to know that I've turned the ring off on the cooker to avoid the disaster that happened last time.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X