• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    What I found interesting was that the (text-based) service was heavily used by the visually impaired

I may have misremembered the article I read...
    Now I have changed my mind. I want it to stay.....

Comment

Lunch has been a breaded chicken breast fillet in a wholemeal bap, with red sauce

Comment

BREAKING NEWS: the Polish café has finally removed their 1m tall Polish Father Christmas statue from the window.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          It’s not exactly old technology; it’s driven by MHEG-5 aka ISO/IEC 13522-5 which is a set of internationally-supported standards for implementing interactive digital TV services
          Aye, it's not like staring at page 303 on a Saturday afternoon because your team wasn't on radio commentary.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

BBC suspends Red Button text switch-off
            Excellent. Been looking for suitable online alternatives to flick through while gnashing me breakfast but not found any.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Just watched last week's Dr Pimple Popper.

Some real gross out stuff.

Woman has lump on her clavicle: "must be a lipoma".

Cuts into it: whoosh: it was a really big feckoff cyst.

Half a pint of "mashed potato" comes out, along with the cyst sac.

I'm still in awe of the black lady having liquid N2 treatment on some warty things (seborrheic keratosis): 300 odd frozen off with nairy a flinch.

She puts the sto in stoic.

That stuff really fecking hurts.

Originally posted by Doctor Harris
              This may sting a bit
              Originally posted by Doctor Strangelove without actually saying anything or twitching
              Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
              The poor sod with neurofibromatosis: what can one say?

Somewhere upstairs is one of those VCRs that would program the clock for you via teletext.

Which worked on ITV Oracle but wouldn't work on BBC Ceefax because the Beeb in their wisdom omitted a ":" from the time information.

Not that it matters anymore since Ceefax died, analogue broadcasting died, and the vcr died long before either of them.

It was fecking expensive too, £500 IIRC, sometime in 1988.

One of these:

Video Cassette Recorder Multi Audio System R-Player Grundig

They made versions that were even more expensive.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 January 2020, 17:04.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Jeans wash done. Bed changed. Need to get the dinner on soon (chicken casserole) as I want to cook it fairly slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Somewhere upstairs is one of those VCRs that would program the clock for you via teletext.

Which worked on ITV Oracle but wouldn't work on BBC Ceefax because the Beeb in their wisdom omitted a ":" from the time information.

Not that it matters anymore since Ceefax died, analogue broadcasting died, and the vcr died long before either of them.

It was fecking expensive too, £500 IIRC, sometime in 1988.

One of these:

Video Cassette Recorder Multi Audio System R-Player Grundig

They made versions that were even more expensive.
                  The spec (“Enhanced Teletext Specification” - PDF) doesn’t appear to dictate the format of any RTC info contained in the page header; all it says is that “Bytes 38 to 45 are usually coded to represent a real-time clock.” (Section 9.3.1.4).

Table 1 in section 9.1 talks of packet(s) X/26/0 - 14 being used for “codes for programming ancillary equipment such as video recorders” but I don’t know when that was incorporated into the spec, as this document carries a date in 1997. I don’t remember seeing that in the document we worked from at the company that made Teletext transmission stuff, which I think was dated some time in the late 1970s.
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 29 January 2020, 17:53. Reason: 1997, not 1996.

Comment

The spec (“Enhanced Teletext Specification” - PDF) doesn’t appear to dictate the format of any RTC info contained in the page header; all it says is that “Bytes 38 to 45 are usually coded to represent a real-time clock.” (Section 9.3.1.4).

Table 1 in section 9.1 talks of packet(s) X/26/0 - 14 being used for “codes for programming ancillary equipment such as video recorders” but I don’t know when that was incorporated into the spec, as this document carries a date in 1997. I don’t remember seeing that in the document we worked from at the company that made Teletext transmission stuff, which I think was dated some time in the late 1970s.
                    The machine was bought in '88, so presumably was developed sometime in '86ish.

In those days Grundig did stuff that was pretty unusual and high end.

And it would have followed continental teletext standards.

In contrast to the £550 for the VS-550, the last VCR I bought was £70 from Argos, though very basic in operation.

Then again, the Philips VCR of 1972 was the same price as a new mini.

The zapper for the VS-550 was almost as expensive: it had a built in LCD and retailed for £60+ if you fecked it up.

In other news, Tea: last of Sunday's roast beef with carrots & onions, followed by orange segments & custard, plus 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The evening's entertainment is proposed to be "Ghost" with that Whoopi Goldberg as the Ghost medium, which makes a change from 10 Forward.

In other other news, S3 have contacted me about yet another "outside IR35 contract" at £42 - 45/hr.

Naturally it wants skills I don't have, and the ones I used to have have effectively rusted away due to lack of use.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 January 2020, 19:13.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Having been on a call at 8am, the guy who signs my timesheets (ex contractor) messaged me at 4.45pm to remind me they pay me per day and that my dog probably deserves a longer walk than she got this morning.

Does being told to down tools cause you’re not going to get paid anything extra count as SDC, or somewhere worth working?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X