• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to avoid paying for car insurance, tax and MoT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to avoid paying for car insurance, tax and MoT

simples, nip over to any country outside of UK to buy an old yalopy, drive back in it - hey presto!

Joking aside. This is actually quite annoying me. Unless foreign car owners choose do inform the DVLA (and they are under no obligation to do so) they can drive around in their foreign cars and not pay car tax, parking/speeding tickets, insurance nor have an MoT.

I must be mental.

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
    This is actually quite annoying me. Unless foreign car owners choose do inform the DVLA (and they are under no obligation to do so) they can drive around in their foreign cars and not pay car tax, parking/speeding tickets, insurance nor have an MoT.
    I understand where you're coming from but speaking as someone who has driven on foreign plates let me make a few points:

1) Anyone who drives without ANY insurance at all is definitely mental!!

2) There is a limit to how long you can drive a car on foreign plates in the UK.

3) If stopped by the police and you cant prove that the car is road legal in the country of origin you can still be referred for prosecution in that country (possibly in the UK too).

4) In my case, for me to display legal taxation mark, I had to have valid insurance and "MOT equivalent". If I wanted to renew my tax I therefore would have gone back to Scandinavia to get the MOT - all else could have been done remotely.

IANAL - just starting the information i am aware of.

HTH

Comment

Working...
    X