• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best museum/zoo for insects? (London)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best museum/zoo for insects? (London)

My 7-year-old is going through a bit of an obsession with insects at the moment (as they do). He's got a collection pot and various books and a DVD. Thing is, we're going to London for the weekend in a couple of weeks and I thought I might drag him along somewhere that has some cool insects, either on display in cases or alive in tanks somewhere.

Trouble is, we've been to the Natural History Museum so many times I don't think I can face it again. Always seems to be massively crowded as well.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any other options in The Smoke? Has the zoo got a particularly impressive collection, or just a couple of miserable spiders in a mouldy tank somewhere? Any other ideas?

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    My 7-year-old is going through a bit of an obsession with insects at the moment (as they do). He's got a collection pot and various books and a DVD. Thing is, we're going to London for the weekend in a couple of weeks and I thought I might drag him along somewhere that has some cool insects, either on display in cases or alive in tanks somewhere.

Trouble is, we've been to the Natural History Museum so many times I don't think I can face it again. Always seems to be massively crowded as well.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any other options in The Smoke? Has the zoo got a particularly impressive collection, or just a couple of miserable spiders in a mouldy tank somewhere? Any other ideas?
    http://www.royensoc.co.uk/

http://www.lnhs.org.uk/ecolent1.htm

Comment

tried the rothschild museum in tring? not in the smoke but they do have quite a few insect boxes round the central gallery. and it's a sweet little place.

Comment

Just realised there is a Bug House in one of the museums in Liverpool, which is a bit closer to home. But still... carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          tried the rothschild museum in tring? not in the smoke but they do have quite a few insect boxes round the central gallery. and it's a sweet little place.
          WHS.

Perfect for a 7 year old.

Look out for the book covered with human skin.

And the dressed fleas.

And the elephant seal (I thought that was fake).
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I'll make a note of Tring, but we're going to London on the train so can't really take quick diversions this trip.

Comment

Working...
            X