• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today, over 27,000 children died around the world.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today, over 27,000 children died around the world.

Why is this tragedy not in the headlines?

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Poverty/death/

When initially writing this, the BBC’s top story on prime time television was about a British child kidnapped in Portugal. This is definitely a tragic story that needs reporting, but why, for the BBC and other British media outlets that pride themselves in outstanding international media coverage, is the plight of millions of children not daily headlines?
    Last edited by 2uk; 27 August 2007, 12:05.

Happens every day, and is a good thing for the planet as a whole. Probably not for the individual families themselves though.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Of course it is good , since this is not you.

Comment

A single death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic.

Comment

27,000 deaths is fairly meaningless. Some of those presumably will have been in rich western countries. How many people die per day anyway?

Another interesting statistic: there are 150'000 abortions performed worldwide per day.

Not All There
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

of tragedies.

Comment

"Happens every day, and is a good thing for the planet as a whole. Probably not for the individual families themselves though."
              Originally posted by 2uk View Post
              Of course it is good , since this is not you.
              If it makes you feel any better, fuck off and die with them then.

Comment

Just Gods way of saying there's too many
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Just Gods way of saying there's too many
                  Indeed. The GOD being the "leading" nations.

Comment

I could give you a few reasons:

1) Apathy

2) Because minerals under the ground are of more value (or is that importance) than life.

3) Because it's not in the controlled state's interest to air on TV.

When I was in Tanzania I witnessed poverty first hand yet it was not near like what I suspect the worst places on earth are, and yet all they needed to survive was a few pence to feed themselves. Perhaps one parent worked the rest of the family did not. I could see the same thing in the east end of Glasgae, people dying of abuse/poverty.

4) The truth we probably know exactly why this is not headline news. As part of this race it sickens me and my day to day life would not enjoy having this news shoved in my face on matters I, or the world at large are not equipped to handle. Too many people not enough food, and the land to grow those much required crops is fast reducing.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X