• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone else feel like they are being financially ripped by the tax-man

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    This is not a discussion forum - it's an advice forum - if you want empathy mumsnet is thataway...
    Just don't ask them why they keep a beaker by the bed. Or what to do on a quiet evening at centreparcs....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      If people want friends then they should get a dog.

NLUK knows what he is talking about - he has helped many over the years and was even poster of the year.

If you don't like his advice, then get some more. You may prefer it. Or you could ask him for a refund?

Yes he is blunt. Yes he is terse. But he really knws his stuff. Except about JSA - for that ask his bestie PsychoCandy.....
      Oh I dunno. Maybe he just needs a holiday.

I'm more of a reader than a poster so don't get involved in any potential politics, but with the recent heady times I think he should back off and let people blow off steam, which is probably what at least 51% of these places are about.

(If he's giving you chinese wrist burns round the back of the bike shed, then tell teacher.)

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        This is not a discussion forum - it's an advice forum - if you want empathy mumsnet is thataway...
        Banned from mumsnet for being pedantic.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopener View Post
          NLUK seems to lack the empathy required to have a discussion, on what is essentially a discussion forum. I imagine he records discussions on his phone in the pub and plays them back when people attempt to broach the same subject again.
          It's just the way I've always been. Sometimes I'm OK, other times I just lose my rag in frustration. Guess where I am now. The problem is we all knew it would be frustrating around now. It was when the public sector hit. Mods even for saw this and put a post up warning the regulars not to be too mean.

We are a group of people turning over 100k a year and supposedly running small businesses. Some of the questions beggar belief. We don't mind helping where people try but no one likes feckless lazy people. We've another sticky in the FAQ section asking people not to be that.
          I just can't help ranting that's all. Many others are just as frustrated.

The world is falling out of the way we work and some idiots pop up proving they don't have a clue... Which is arguably why we are where we are.

Try going on any forum, let alone a professional one, ask a stupid question and see what happens. You say you've already been banned from one. I've seen people getting a mauling on car sites, bike sites and even accountingweb. Put a post up on mumsnet titled 'How do I become a mum' and they will rip you a new one.

I knew as soon as I saw IR35 reforms had been delayed what type of question would be asked by what type of contractor. The same that's been raising the blood pressure the last few months.

So many of us get frustrated.... the difference is I can't help posting. Two of our main posters, jamesbrown and WordisBond, are usually calm and composed have started cracking at the seams and don't post on some threads which speaks volumes. They just know to carry on scrolling.

If it helps you, I don't get away with it. I think many people are probably surprised (myself included) that I'm not on an enforced time off.

I'll try harder, just for you.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 19 March 2020, 00:02.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If people want friends then they should get a dog.

NLUK knows what he is talking about - he has helped many over the years and was even poster of the year.

If you don't like his advice, then get some more. You may prefer it. Or you could ask him for a refund?

Yes he is blunt. Yes he is terse. But he really knws his stuff. Except about JSA - for that ask his bestie PsychoCandy.....
            Well Brillo. Thank you very much.. That's the nicest thing...

PS - don't worry NLUK. I will be back to abusing you soon enough.....
            Ugh.. bollocks

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It's just the way I've always been. Sometimes I'm OK, other times I just lose my rag in frustration. Guess where I am now. The problem is we all knew it would be frustrating around now. It was when the public sector hit. Mods even for saw this and put a post up warning the regulars not to be too mean.

We are a group of people turning over 100k a year and supposedly running small businesses. Some of the questions beggar belief. We don't mind helping where people try but no one likes feckless lazy people. We've another sticky in the FAQ section asking people not to be that.
              I just can't help ranting that's all. Many others are just as frustrated.

The world is falling out of the way we work and some idiots pop up proving they don't have a clue... Which is arguably why we are where we are.

Try going on any forum, let alone a professional one, ask a stupid question and see what happens. You say you've already been banned from one. I've seen people getting a mauling on car sites, bike sites and even accountingweb. Put a post up on mumsnet titled 'How do I become a mum' and they will rip you a new one.

I knew as soon as I saw IR35 reforms had been delayed what type of question would be asked by what type of contractor. The same that's been raising the blood pressure the last few months.

So many of us get frustrated.... the difference is I can't help posting. Two of our main posters, jamesbrown and WordisBond, are usually calm and composed have started cracking at the seams and don't post on some threads which speaks volumes. They just know to carry on scrolling.

If it helps you, I don't get away with it. I think many people are probably surprised (myself included) that I'm not on an enforced time off.

I'll try harder, just for you.
              I think you should have some time off.

I troll pretty hard on The Independent (I shall not say who I am).

But even sometimes the tears of the lefties who I am naturally better than make me realise that some dampness has got into shoes I thought previously impenetrable.

So I take a couple of days off that now and again.

Comment

I think you should have some time off.

I troll pretty hard on The Independent (I shall not say who I am).

But even sometimes the tears of the lefties who I am naturally better than make me realise that some dampness has got into shoes I thought previously impenetrable.

So I take a couple of days off that now and again.
                That just makes you an amateur and NLUK a professional.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by mockedguy View Post
                  What a low life elitist comment to make.

Most contractors have worked fully within the laws of the time and honestly pay the taxes that were due, many £10,000s every year, corporation and personal.

If you want to have a poke at tax evaders start with 'businesses' like take-aways and traders who only take cash, and those that sit on the dole all their lives living off the tax we have earned and paid.

Do you work for hmrc?
                  Correct. This is the bigger issue across the country at the moment. Too many are taking out of the pot and not enough who should be paying in are doing so. I knew a taxi driver who had two different sets of accounts - one for himself and one that he showed to his wife and the taxman!

A move to a cashless society would be tough at first but would lead to a better trail for HMRC to follow and pick things up. Where people have no time for contractors is when they're boasting that they're income splitting with the wife who doesn't work and doesn't contribute towards the business in any way other than receiving a slab of salary and dividends from it in order to, in effect, cheat the taxman. No problem with an individual balancing between salary and dividends; after all, you're doing what's best for you and your business, but a disguised contractor is arguably even worse than a disguised permie!

Unfortunately I think that the new legislation is taking things too far the other way and that at the very least the rules on travel and accommodation need scrapping or revising; you can't expect a mobile contingent workforce to not be compensated for their flexibility. I had to turn down a contract at one bank on Canary Wharf because I was coming to the end of a major project at another one after 19 months. I knew that any offer they made would have to be over the odds due to the two year accounting rule on expenses. Sadly I priced myself out of that one.

Bottom line - you're right about the cash-heavy industries but it's harder to get under the hood on those compared to loads of people who are filing reports and giving Hector plenty of low-hanging fruit to pick at. Again, it's risk and reward and the Inside IR35 contractors in financial services companies in London are big reward for low risk.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    That just makes you an amateur and NLUK a professional.
                    Don't fall under his spell.

Comment

Don't fall under his spell.
                      Smell. Sort your spelling out laddie.

Comment

Working...
                      X