• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry Letters for Choice Premier / Berwick Associates/ Runnymede Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Enquiry Letters for Choice Premier / Berwick Associates/ Runnymede Services

Hi all,

Yesterday I received an enquiry letter from HMRC regarding work through the Choice Premier / Berwick Associates scheme.

Has anyone else worked with these guys and/or received a letter?

If so, please get in touch... I would be very interested in working together on this.

Thanks,
    - Shevlane

I've moved your post to a separate thread as this scheme is a new one on me.

You'll get lost in the noise of the other thread.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Didn't Choice Premier used to advertise on CUK?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Didn't Choice Premier used to advertise on CUK?
        So did Breeze.

I'm just waiting for the patter of tiny feet....
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Was this for 2011/2012? Most users of the scheme got this letter in December. The accountants (Kerridge & co) is dealing with it on behalf of Berwick partners.

Comment

There is something fishy about the First Choice / Berwick set up. The Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) accounts for 2013 show profits of £3.6 million for "discretionary division" and drawings of the exact same amount. With 91 members that would average £40,000 each. Yet the partners are told their profit share is about £10,000 each and then to disclose receipt of non taxable foreign loans in the other information box of their tax returns.

I can only imagine that some "offshore" partner is being given a disproportionally large share which is then "lent" back to the other partners (foreign currency loans).

I suspect the risk here is in the analysis of where the profits were earned. The accounts do not disclose any geographical analysis, which suggests they were all earned in the UK and I believe should therefore all be taxed in the UK. But on whom?

Problem is HMRC may deem that the partners' shares are not being disclosed/distributed in accordance the actual agreement entered into. That is they may seek to impose profit shares which reflect where the cash ended up.

What does your letter actually say?

Comment

The Berwick partnership profits should be the deemed salary minus your expenses leaving the gross salary ie partner profits. The foreign currency loan is nothing to do with the LLP.

Comment

I just received an enquiry letter as well for 2011/12.

I would be interested to know how people are handling it!

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by shevlane View Post
                  Hi all,

Yesterday I received an enquiry letter from HMRC regarding work through the Choice Premier / Berwick Associates scheme.

Has anyone else worked with these guys and/or received a letter?

If so, please get in touch... I would be very interested in working together on this.

Thanks,
                  - Shevlane
                  Hi there,
                  I am in the middle of this and would really like someone elses feedback here too.

Comment

Did any of you guys get the latest missive from MJK - letter dated 27th October? If so could you PM me please with your thoughts about how to proceed?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X