• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry Letters for Choice Premier / Berwick Associates/ Runnymede Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi eto,

Agree with what you've said and about banding together.

I noticed this is your first post. Please can you ask for PM rights off the admins here? I would like to send you something.

Thanks,
    - Shevlane

Originally posted by eto
    Hello All,

I'm so glad that I have found others who are on the same scheme.

Any help would be much appreciated as the longer we leave this the higher the penalty will be for all of us!!

Comment

Originally posted by eto
      Initially when I joined CP they had told me that they have been operating since 1995 and since that time only 3 people have been investigated whom CP has successfully helped and protected so why are they hiding now then?
      Firstly, you are making the assumption that their claim was true. Quite a few of the claims of these schemes turn out to be exaggerated at best. But lets give them the benefit of doubt and assume it is true.

The real issue is the number "3" - being a low single digit number - these providers have a fund to defend the odd investigation - and it makes good business sense for them to do so - to be seen to defend their clients - it even allows them to use it as a sales pitch - as they did with you.

But what they don't tell you - is that they rarely keep enough money in the kitty to defend a mass crackdown like HMRC are now undertaking. It's hideously expensive and they conclude it's better (financially for them) to throw their clients under the bus, phoenix the company and start again when the fuss has died down. Is this happening with your scheme - can't say, but unfortunately it appears to be all too commonplace.
      Last edited by centurian; 13 December 2014, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by shevlane View Post
        Hi eto,

Agree with what you've said and about banding together.

I noticed this is your first post. Please can you ask for PM rights off the admins here? I would like to send you something.

Thanks,
        - Shevlane
        Hi Shevlane,

Many thanks for your response. Please can you advise on how to get PM rights? I have checked my settings but there is no options in there.

Comment

enquiry into personal return

Hi, isn't it a breach of human rights to request bank statements to prove the amount received from Berwick & CPL ???, when the 2 companies involved can just provide their bank statements. PM me if you're of the same view. Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
            Hi, isn't it a breach of human rights to request bank statements to prove the amount received from Berwick & CPL ???, when the 2 companies involved can just provide their bank statements. PM me if you're of the same view. Regards
            HMRC have to be able to justify why they are asking for the information. HMRC will ask for the earth and the moon, you should not assume you have to give them everything they require as they can then widen their remit.
            Out for a drink with an accountant friend last night - he always asks HMRC to justify requests for information and insists that unless thy specify exactly what is required they will receive information heavily redacted.
            He sites an early lesson where a client was having an affair, HMRC relentlessly requested information about items on the statement and at one point suggested that they would ask his wife about the transfers to a.n.other (to his girlfriend to cover hotel bills). All a mess. So his view is - take advice.

As for defending the scheme, HMRC are not massively keen to pursue 100s of cases so will consider a test case type of thing. Again - talk to your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by eto
              I have read that many accountants and some companies have tax investigation insurance which I didn't know existed but either way it's too late to get that now but I would have imagined that such scheme facilitators would have this in place for things like this as it's not very expensive and should really be part of the service but guess its not 😓😓
              Yup - way, way too late to get insurance.

If it makes you feel any better, any insurance you may have taken out might not have been worth the paper it was written on. Ask Gary Barlow - not only does he have a big tax bill, but the scheme's insurers refused to pay out - on the basis that they were not informed it was a tax avoidance scheme - I kid you not !!!

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                It's hideously expensive and they conclude it's better (financially for them) to throw their clients under the bus, phoenix the company and start again when the fuss has died down. Is this happening with your scheme - can't say, but unfortunately it appears to be all too commonplace.
                You can bet your bottom dollar this is what's happening.

And the worst of it is that HMRC don't seem to give a flying fuk about the companies peddling these schemes.

It's only the poor punters who lose out.

Comment

There is every point fighting

A few hundred of you club together, chuck in a few £hundred each, hire a legal team, bingo you're in business.

That's what we at NTRT have done. It's not hard, just takes a bit of organising.

Your choice of course if you'd rather just cave in.
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 14 December 2014, 08:09.

Comment

CP Suggested Approach

Hi All,
                    Has anyone obtained the forex loan documentation, I have so message me if you want to chat.

Everyone remember that these arrangements (including EBT's) were legally until the retrospective law came into place.

For anyone who has received a full enquiry into your personal return (on the back of the arrangement aspect enquiry) - you need to exercise your human rights in not providing your personal bank statements, because the revenue need to prove why they need this.

Remember you have the right to information, as you've paid your fees.

Comment

How is any of this rampant SPECULATION helpful?

There's a lot of inaccuracies being posted in this forum that can't possibly be helping folks' state-of-mind.... It's simply not true to say nothing is being done by CP. Sure, the communication from them and the Accountant could be WAY better than it has been (i.e. more frequent and informative), but we do know they're not sitting in the background doing nothing and - before jumping the gun with accusations and tales of 'Armageddon' - we surely need to wait until the document preparation/submission is completed and the outcome of HMRC's review is formally advised to us.

Comment

Working...
                      X