• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry Letters for Choice Premier / Berwick Associates/ Runnymede Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't agree. Accountax took Boyle completely unprepared. Judge did not even trusted Boyle as witness. All points of defence against ToAA were even not discussed. Seemed like a completely un cooked effort. Accountax should have know the issues with scheme and should have prepared accordingly or told Boyle it is not possible. To me it looked accountax teamed with HMRC rather then Boyle.

Going to tribunal like Boyle is useless. Look at rangers cases. Council made all the difference.

For going to tribunal u need at least £300000 or £400000 if want a silk. You need 1000 or so members in a group and someone like Saleos or Rob organising it. Then proper solicitors filing all the application to tribunal. Individual applications will have to filed and agreement from tribunal will be required for hearing s lead case. Get a proper council.

It is a numbers game. 1000 people together will be able to all the way up the court system with £1000-£1500 from each. Representing yourself or with likes of accounts is shooting yrself in foot.

If the scheme was implemented properly and is defendable, £1000 looks to me a very small sum compared to sums involved here.

Comment

I'm not sure Boyle was implemented properly, that was the problem.

There aren't many groups around here who will be able to raise a few hundred grand. A tax advisor or accountant may be the only affordable option.

Comment

Effort would be required if u really want money back. I am sure their would be more then couple of thousand who used these schemes.

Going to court with just an accountant is throwing good money after bad. HMRC will be all guns blazing with QC. Thus prepare accordingly.

HMRC knows organising groups is going to be difficult and thus they r doing this.

Comment

I got a letter about 12 months ago now and it looks like it getting to crunch time.

Given the latest letter from MJK about the amount to pay could be "loan" +50%, would it not be cheaper to use the HMRC loan settlement scheme and pay now? I understand we would "only" have to pay 40% on the loan value which is considerably less!

If we did chose this route, would the amount be reclaimable if successful with MJK?

Comment

Originally posted by stl View Post
            I got a letter about 12 months ago now and it looks like it getting to crunch time.

Given the latest letter from MJK about the amount to pay could be "loan" +50%, would it not be cheaper to use the HMRC loan settlement scheme and pay now? I understand we would "only" have to pay 40% on the loan value which is considerably less!

If we did chose this route, would the amount be reclaimable if successful with MJK?
            HMRC Settlement Opportunity is not available for this scheme since it is post 5th April 2011. I have asked HMRC and they said no

If you do take up the Settlement Opportunity then that's it and nothing is reclaimable latter.

I think you should try and seek out independent advice (harder than said I know).
            Last edited by NotAmused; 3 December 2014, 15:54.

Comment

How did loan+50% happened? Any explanation?

Comment

HMRC Enquiries for 2012/13

If anyone has got a HMRC enquiry for the 2012/13 tax year (for CP/Berwick), please message me. I received the letter and have very little time to respond. I would like to see how others are tackling this.

Thanks,
                - Shevlane

Comment

Bump or is that Thump...?

...Goes the door mat with a letter from HMRC - oh look, they've decided to "investigate" my "complete" return for 12/13. I guess it's time to pucker up and offer my ass to the "man" as somehow I think BWK and CHP are looooong gone... Really T? tell me that isn't true - oh wait! Didn't you "fall out" a while ago issuing "members" - a *payme* what CHP didn't pay us?

Happy days! oh and 30days to submit the required "bang to rights" "information" they require - time to reach down for the soap! Oh and btw, Happy Xmas Black IcE!!

Comment

CPL / Berwick / Kinsella / Keypay

Hi All,

Fully share & understand our constant worries over this and we need to get this resolved asap to know where we personally stand.

Please get in touch with the accountants MJK for an update via phone/text/email. Regards.

Comment

If people on other schemes experience is anything to go by, don't pin your hopes on the company coming to your rescue.

You may need to consider clubbing together, raising a fighting fund and hiring your own legal defence team.

Comment

Working...
                      X