• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saleos View Post
    Having had my fill of the various musings on this site I am going to log off for good tonight.

To those of you that have PM'd me and provided me with their email address to which I have sent my proposal, thank you. I hope that you have found my proposal of interest and I look forward to working with you should you wish.

I remain willing to help and optimistic that enough will want my support to make it worthwhile.

If you wish to receive my proposal please email me at matthall at saleosconsultancy.co.uk. I would be happy to share it with you so that you may make an informed decision rather than rely upon conjecture on here. I will not though provide free advice or engage in endless debate about the various approaches discussed on here.

To everyone else, I wish you luck. And remind you that you should assume that HMRC see everything posted on this forum.

While I'm not speaking for everyone else, based on various sources of information received on this thread.
    This is the most sensible approach we should take in exact order.

1. Form a group (Saleos group seems sensible option) as 'sleeper cell'
    2. Dig in and wait until HMRC picks someone to use as Edge EBT test case.
    3. If HMRC wins the test case and contact us to notify us that a test case was lost and urging us to pay up
    4. The 'sleeper cell' (Saleos) group is immediately activated into action
    5. Group organisers make contact with and urge the losing taxpayer to appeal the ruling with promise of full financial backing from the group.
    6. Group organisers will now begin to collect fighting funds from the group members in the lead up to the appeal hearing.

The order of this approach makes perfect sense so we should stick with it.
    Do NOT hand over money to anyone until step 6 is activated.

NOTE: Edge sent out revised EBT loan agreement terms to us in 2011 which is more fool proof against HMRC investigation. Everyone in the Edge EBT scheme should make sure they get hold this 2011 revised version for presentation to HMRC if required. In case you're the one who is picked for a test case.
    Last edited by cerner; 19 December 2013, 11:12.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      The only reason to support Boyle would be if that case set a total precedent that prevented you having your own day in court (FTT). I don't see that for one minute.

IMO, it's far better to put 100% of your resources into fighting your own case.
      Reading the full judgement many times, I cannot understand how Boyle can affect my scheme - Loans through EBT. If Michael sees a connection than it would be great to get opposite views from him. I might be missing something with Michael has been able to spot

Comment

Word of warning

HMRC are reading this thread. Every single post.

Comment

DR is spot on

HMRC are reading this thread. Every single post.

Agreed - there is far too much conjecture on this forum just now; ultimately, this could mislead people and unwittingly deliver a coup to HMRC. By all means, make contact with Saleos and / or TheDandy to get the information from the horse's mouth for each proposal and then make up your own minds.

The sooner an offline community is established, the better, from my perspective.
          "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Edge EBT thread

Originally posted by K12AN
            Can we not make this a private forum? i.e. only those who are able to prove that they are former Edge Employees are granted access by the moderators?

There are a lot of posts by many of us who are really just thinking out loud, trying to get others thoughts, or just trying to help others - whilst actually misinforming or potentially damaging our cause.
            No, you can't. You are welcome to set up another forum and make that private, however.

You may also wonder why the other threads have 'gone quiet'...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cerner View Post
              While I'm not speaking for everyone else, based on various sources of information received on this thread.
              This is the most sensible approach we should take in exact order.
              Setting out an approach on a public forum doesn't strike me as very wise or terribly helpful

1. Form a group (Saleos group seems sensible option) as 'sleeper cell'
              2. Dig in and wait until HMRC picks someone to use as Edge EBT test case.
              3. If HMRC wins the test case and contact us to notify us that a test case was lost and urging us to pay up
              4. The 'sleeper cell' (Saleos) group is immediately activated into action
              5. Group organisers make contact with and urge the losing taxpayer to appeal the ruling
              ...to point 5, what happens if the losing taxpayer isn't given leave to appeal?
              6. Group organisers will now begin to collect fighting funds from the group members in the lead up to the appeal hearing.
              Ditto. This is akin to shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Have you contacted Saleos to find out how his proposal would work? I won't divulge his proposal here...suffice to say that you would need to commit some funds up-front to engage his commercial services.
              "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Good publicity

Front page of the Independent today accuses HMRC of targeting individuals and small businesses and letting big business get away with tax avoidance

Take from the poor, but not the rich: Tax authorities accused of 'siding' with big business over small firms and individuals - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Also CEO of HMRC was challenged on SKY news today

Comment

The order of this approach makes perfect sense so we should stick with it.
                  You are assuming HMRC will leave you in peace between now and the tribunal, and just focus all their attention on one or more individuals as test cases.

It might play out like that but, if our (BN66) experience is anything to go by, it probably won't. We were lucky in this respect because our promoter hadn't done a runner.

Leaving taxpayers in peace is not HMRC's modus operandi.

PS. they've already had some success in getting ebt users to cough up, and that was merely by issuing assessments
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 19 December 2013, 12:36.

Comment

You are assuming HMRC will leave you in peace between now and the tribunal, and just focus all their attention on one or more individuals as test cases.

It might play out like that but, if our (BN66) experience is anything to go by, it probably won't. We were lucky in this respect because our promoter hadn't done a runner.

Leaving taxpayers in peace is not HMRC's modus operandi.

PS. they've already had some success in getting ebt users to cough up, and that was merely by issuing assessments
                    +1

HMRC officials are appraised on the success they have recovering expected payments. They will use anything they can to scare you into paying up.... One trick is to send letters to arrive just before a long holiday period to let you stew....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Edge EBT thread

Originally posted by ammark View Post
                      Hello

I have also received HMRC assessments for 2008-2009 and 2009-2010. Admin could you please PM me too. I believe "PM" mean I will get the proposals from Dandy and Saleos?

Could you please confirm once done?

I am also willing to participate in the groups being setup and would like to see their proposals.

Thanks
                      Ammar
                      No, it does NOT mean that. It means that you have the ability to contact them yourself.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X