• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm not the only one.

Hi all,
    I too have had the Sanzar letters. I've appealed both, and am letting Contractor Helpdesk deal with it for the moment.
    Simple question. What chances are there that the Sanzar scheme is legal and that I'm not going to be bankrupted.

Given the number of contractors, surely it is in HMRC, and our interest, to deal with the Sanzar issue in court? Perhaps we could gather together, pay some legal fees, get the the thing sorted one way or another?

I've just found this forum, in some ways it's nice to know I'm not alone, but I really wouldn't wish this stress on anyone.

Thanks,
    J

Comment

You're going to need to read this

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...e-schemes.html
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Caveat emptor

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Oh deep joy. Seems a tad unfair, although given the disdain with which avoidance scheme users are viewed, not necessarily a surprise.

Does it not make a more urgent reason to have individual schemes (Sanzar in this case) referred to a tribunal at the earliest opportunity?

If the Sanzar scheme was flawed/illegal/untenable/bonkers and a tribunal says so, then I'll pay; however I really would like to see some due process here.

As an aside, at the time I did get a second opinion on the Sanzar scheme and was told that it was legal avoidance. 'Caveat emptor' I guess.

J

Comment

will hmrc send out mass letters sometime this year..
          Last edited by lara400; 3 February 2014, 12:49.

Comment

There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to how HMRC are dealing with this. Some people who were involved in these schemes have had discovery assessments for all years, others for some and some people I hear have never heard a word about it (luck ones).

Either way, I'd be careful about what you say on a totally public forum, one on which HMRC are known to prowl. After all, you don't want to invite trouble do you.

Comment

Originally posted by MrO666 View Post
              There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to how HMRC are dealing with this. Some people who were involved in these schemes have had discovery assessments for all years, others for some and some people I hear have never heard a word about it (luck ones).

Either way, I'd be careful about what you say on a totally public forum, one on which HMRC are known to prowl. After all, you don't want to invite trouble do you.
              thanks...edited!

Comment

Private forum

Re-posting previous post to remind Cuk members and lurkers that there is a private forum for Sanzar, Garraway and Darwinpay scheme users. This is currently up and running with a small number of members.

Please pm me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by lara400 View Post
                  will hmrc send out mass letters sometime this year..
                  Apparently there will be about 4000 letters going out this year
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

4000 what?

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    That's a tad scary
                    What will these letters say? and who's announced the 4000 letters?

I assume these are 4000 letters are across all schemes?

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      How do you know this ?

Comment

Working...
                      X