• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody know if the meeting took place yesterday and if so is there any further information ?
    Last edited by MrO666; 30 July 2013, 19:34.

Comment

Tax return declaration

Originally posted by ice9 View Post
      Nothing further has been heard from CH as far as I understand things on this. But it seems very likely HMRC will have responded to CH by now.

It's my personal opinion, and it is just an opinion, that CH Helpdesk has been setup by Sanzar to deflect a possible defence whereby Sanzar or their UK establishment, are considered the employer and therefore liable. I see another poster earlier unearthed a trail linking various bodies to CH. I see some other people have been refused assistance by CH because they filed their own appeals.

This all seems rather sketchy to me and I was pretty unimpressed by CH when I spoke to them and therefore also decided to take my own independent advice.

Did anyone out there declare their loans on their tax returns, as some people I know did? PM me if you don't feel comfortable discussing it here, but I feel this may apply to such cases: HMRC not entitled to discovery assessment | AccountingWEB
      I didn't declare loans on my self assessment, on advice from sanzar at the time. However I did declare the 08/09 scheme dotas number, but this was done by a special hmrc form I posted in a few months after I submitted my return. Again, all as advised by sanzar at the time. The dotas declaration might invalidate the discovery assessment, but the delay following the tax return might also be a factor. Who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Kent Road View Post
        I didn't declare loans on my self assessment, on advice from sanzar at the time. However I did declare the 08/09 scheme dotas number, but this was done by a special hmrc form I posted in a few months after I submitted my return. Again, all as advised by sanzar at the time. The dotas declaration might invalidate the discovery assessment, but the delay following the tax return might also be a factor. Who knows!
        My opinion for all it's worth you should have clearly noted the loans in the white space of the self assessment form by disclosing your loans this helps with disclosure (you haven't hidden anything that way). I wasn't aware that the 08/09 had a DOTAS Scheme are you positive about this?

I think the main issue is simple HMRC considers the loans to be taxable full stop our job / CobMurphy's job is to prove otherwise.

As for the discovery i'm not so sure that's the main issue.....

Good Luck guess it's wait and see. I still have faith in CobMurphy.

Comment

Hi, I was using Sanzar (Solutions / Partnership...) for 08/09 and 09/10.

Like many I received discovery notice from HMRC (Miss L J Stopp) back in March 2013 relating to the 08/09 tax year (only).

I sought out Sanzar, but found that all enquiries are being managed / filtered via Contractor Helpdesk (CH), who once satisfied you qualified for assistance, were referring users to Cobham Murphy (CM) to provide assistance to members (funded by monies made available by Sanzar).

Note, I also made direct contact with CM but was only immediately directed back to CH for processing.

I was unfortunately denied CM’s assistance by CH as they stated that the appeal money made available was only for 09/10 customers of the Sanzar Solutions, not the 08/09 customers of the Sanzar Partnership.

Im interested in "Old Kent Road", post stating that as an 08/09 user, CM provided assistance by submitting appeal notice on their behalf? Wondering if this service actually is complimentary for ex Sanzar Partnership users and I have been misled by CH?

Confused???

Is there any help being made available to ex Sanzar Partnership (08/09) users that I’m not receiving? Or am I really on my own?

At any rate, on advice (as I needed to act within the 30 day window given for appeals), I generated my own appeal notice which was accepted, and am now going through the process of correspondence with HMRC on the matter to find a resolution.

Any other appeals reached a resolution outside the threatened tribunal hearing as yet?

Any info appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by aerosolband View Post

Like many I received discovery notice from HMRC (Miss L J Stopp) back in March 2013 relating to the 08/09 tax year (only).

I sought out Sanzar, but found that all enquiries are being managed / filtered via Contractor Helpdesk (CH), who once satisfied you qualified for assistance, were referring users to Cobham Murphy (CM) to provide assistance to members (funded by monies made available by Sanzar).

Note, I also made direct contact with CM but was only immediately directed back to CH for processing.

I was unfortunately denied CM’s assistance by CH as they stated that the appeal money made available was only for 09/10 customers of the Sanzar Solutions, not the 08/09 customers of the Sanzar Partnership.

Im interested in "Old Kent Road", post stating that as an 08/09 user, CM provided assistance by submitting appeal notice on their behalf? Wondering if this service actually is complimentary for ex Sanzar Partnership users and I have been misled by CH?

Confused???

Is there any help being made available to ex Sanzar Partnership (08/09) users that I’m not receiving? Or am I really on my own?

At any rate, on advice (as I needed to act within the 30 day window given for appeals), I generated my own appeal notice which was accepted, and am now going through the process of correspondence with HMRC on the matter to find a resolution.

Any other appeals reached a resolution outside the threatened tribunal hearing as yet?

Hi

I also submitted my own appeal but contacted CH after appeal was accepted to seek further help, unfortunately CH said they will offer no help once an independent appeal has been lodged.

I'm guessing that is the standard response from CH.

Comment

Originally posted by aerosolband View Post

Confused???

Yes CH and CM managed my Sanzar Partnership 08/09 appeal, as they did for many others back in Mar/Apr. When I contacted HMRC at that time there was mention of a bulk generic letter from CM with a list of scheme users attached. So surprised on your treatment. Read the whole thread I think you will see a mixture of approaches.

I am a 09/10 user as well (with an open HMRC COP8 enquiry for good measure) but I've had no recent contact from HMRC re that year's return, and no reason to revert to CH or CM. But of course there is plenty of time for that.

Do you have any specific info on the "threatened tribunal hearing" or do you mean just generally what could happen in near future?

Comment

Michael J Perry Appeals Template

Hi All,

Would someone be able to post the Michael J Perry Appeals letter template. for me. I have received a 08/09 assessment and want to appeal (whilst I try to work out who my 'introducer' was!) Received an email from contractorupdates.com, which has Penfolds next to my name, but I am pretty sure I was with Sanzar, introduced by Umbrellla Staff Ltd. Help appreciated. Thanks

Concerned

Comment

Appeals template

Originally posted by Concerned View Post
                  Hi All,

Would someone be able to post the Michael J Perry Appeals letter template. for me. I have received a 08/09 assessment and want to appeal (whilst I try to work out who my 'introducer' was!) . Thanks

Concerned
                  Hi Concerned,

the template from Michael may be found at post # 8 in the Edge EBT thread:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...bt-thread.html

Obviously you should take note of the disclaimer from Michael at the same time
                  "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Originally posted by Concerned View Post
                    Hi All,

Would someone be able to post the Michael J Perry Appeals letter template. for me. I have received a 08/09 assessment and want to appeal (whilst I try to work out who my 'introducer' was!) Received an email from contractorupdates.com, which has Penfolds next to my name, but I am pretty sure I was with Sanzar, introduced by Umbrellla Staff Ltd. Help appreciated. Thanks

Concerned
                    Hi,

Have you just received the letter, when was the letter dated? Are you aware of the 4 year cut-off that passed in April this year?

/Convict

Comment

Originally posted by convict View Post
                      Hi,

Have you just received the letter, when was the letter dated? Are you aware of the 4 year cut-off that passed in April this year?

/Convict
                      Hi Convict,

Yes, but I was under the impression that this had been extended to 6 years now. I have just received the letter dated 2 August, 2013

C

Comment

Working...
                      X