• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbar99920 View Post
    Is there a group in here that I can get advice from, especially related to the company that I used at that time.
    WTT Big Group
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Hi there,

I have just received a tax demand for 30k relating to tax year 2011-2012 while I was working through TwentyPlus. They have now dissolved as of Apr 2015 as they would have been non-compliant under new regulations. I have not received any enquiries from HMRC, just a letter demanding payment within 30 days dated from 12/1/16, got the letter today. Has anyone else received a similar demand and what did they do?

Any help/advice would be great.

regards
      Stephen
      The advice is sound. You need to speak with someone, maybe someone that used the same scheme or the scheme provider themselves if you can get hold of someone. But whilst you are doing that you should respond within the 30 days given as per the info it gives you to appeal. This will stop the process of having to pay what they are asking whilst they carry out their investigation. At the moment they are just saying that they believe your self assessment is wrong and that additional tax is due. By doing this they have ensured that they start action within time limit constraints.

If you write back with something like below. I'm not an expert.

Dear xxx,
      I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 12 January 2016, a notice of assessment and tax calculation for 2011/12.

Please take this letter as my formal notice of appeal against the assessment on the ground that I do not agree with it.

I apply to postpone the further tax charged of £xxx on the ground that no additional taxable income has been agreed.

Kindly acknowledge receipt.

Comment

I have not received anything about this from HMRC in the past. It is a letter from Counter Avoidance that includes a notice of assessment for 2011/2012 tax year. It states that if I do not pay the amount on the assessment within 30 days penalties apply. They mention the appeals process etc. The text in the footer is RevAsst04 Simplified HMRC 09/15.

Is there a group in here that I can get advice from, especially related to the company that I used at that time.

Perhaps someone who has experienced a similar situation could recommend an adviser. They have issued this for 2011/12, does it mean they will issue for subsequent years?
        So you do have a discovery assessment.

As noted above, appeal, request postponement and then get advice/join a group.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I take it TwentyPlus have done a runner and left you in the lurch?

Don't try and deal with this on your own. Get professional advice and/or join a group.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            I take it TwentyPlus have done a runner and left you in the lurch?

Don't try and deal with this on your own. Get professional advice and/or join a group.
            I have had a very similar letter for the same tax year - I was with Garraway - non-dotas self employed scheme. I've joined Big Group and I'm waiting for a response from them. Funnily enough, the financials are the same .

Comment

Urgent Advice Needed

Over the weekend sent me a notice of assessment to income tax for the 2011-2012 tax year demanding in excess of £30,000 before 21st February 2016.

They have not explained how they have come to these figures but have included a Spotlight 26: Contractor Loan Schemes article.

I have previously replied to HMRC stating that I was not involved in this type of scheme and have had this accepted for 2012-2013 tax year (for which I received a closure notice). When the original enquiry was sent to me for the year in question they asked me to confirm my arrangements where the same in 2011-2012 as 2012-2013 (the investigation they closed) which I confirmed they were however this new demand seems to have ignored that?

I dont have money to pay HMRC nor so I believe it is owed? The company I used when I was self employed (up to Dec 2014) has now been dissolved and it is this company who has previously told me I was not part of such a scheme?

This is obviously causing me great stress so I wondered if anybody would be able to help me respond to the HMRC or advise on another route I can go down. The letter states I need to appeal and ask for a suspension of the payment before 21st February so this is quite an urgent matter.

Comment

Progress

Hi there,

I have just received a tax demand for 30k relating to tax year 2011-2012 while I was working through TwentyPlus. They have now dissolved as of Apr 2015 as they would have been non-compliant under new regulations. I have not received any enquiries from HMRC, just a letter demanding payment within 30 days dated from 12/1/16, got the letter today. Has anyone else received a similar demand and what did they do?

Any help/advice would be great.

regards
                Stephen
                Morning,

Ive received the same thing over the weekend, how did you progress this? I have to respond before 21st Feb, its put me in a right panic!

Thanks in advance
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mpj View Post
                  Morning,

Ive received the same thing over the weekend, how did you progress this? I have to respond before 21st Feb, its put me in a right panic!

Thanks in advance
                  Mark
                  BIG GROUP may be able to assist you in dealing with HMRC. Following link.
                  http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by mpj View Post
                    Over the weekend sent me a notice of assessment to income tax for the 2011-2012 tax year demanding in excess of £30,000 before 21st February 2016.

They have not explained how they have come to these figures but have included a Spotlight 26: Contractor Loan Schemes article.

I have previously replied to HMRC stating that I was not involved in this type of scheme and have had this accepted for 2012-2013 tax year (for which I received a closure notice). When the original enquiry was sent to me for the year in question they asked me to confirm my arrangements where the same in 2011-2012 as 2012-2013 (the investigation they closed) which I confirmed they were however this new demand seems to have ignored that?

I dont have money to pay HMRC nor so I believe it is owed? The company I used when I was self employed (up to Dec 2014) has now been dissolved and it is this company who has previously told me I was not part of such a scheme?

This is obviously causing me great stress so I wondered if anybody would be able to help me respond to the HMRC or advise on another route I can go down. The letter states I need to appeal and ask for a suspension of the payment before 21st February so this is quite an urgent matter.
                    That's a discovery assessment. Get advice.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I had a letter in September asking me for details of loans in 2011/12. I too had none, so wrote back to them a week later telling them so.

I logged in to pay my SA bill this year, and noted a similarly sized bill for 2011/12 to you. I called the 2011/12 loan settlement team. They told me they had received (but lost) my letter, but that they had not had time to read my letter because (and I quote) "the team that was dealing with this has now been given another job to do" and that they just made an assessment anyway. I asked if anyone thought that it was ok to do that to people, and the person I spoke to said no, but that's how it is.

The advice was to write to appeal the assessment (once I actually receive the assessment!) and enclose a copy of my previous letter. They told me they aim to deal with appeal letters within 24 hours. Shame it takes them over four months to read non-appeal letters, because if they read them earlier, they'd probably have less appeals.

To say they're a shambles is an understatement. To say *anything* derogatory about them is an understatement.

Comment

Working...
                      X