• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by car9908 View Post
    Important - Check out the latest tier 2 tribunal for

Revenue Vs Charlton (gabelle tax or accounting web)

HMRC NOT Allowed to use Discovery when sufficient information was disclosed at the time of tax return....
    HMRC not entitled to discovery assessment | AccountingWEB

So, in summary, does this mean that these EBT enquiries are now obsolete ?

Comment

Date set for Upper Tax Tribunal: HMRC appeal vs. Rangers FC

Hi all,

for information, the Upper Tax Tribunal hearing of the HMRC appeal against the Lower Tax Tribunal decision has been set for 19th July, 2013 in Edinburgh:

Reference no.: FTC/19/2013

Appellant: HMRC

Respondent: The former Rangers
      Football Club Plc (now
      RFC 2012 – in
      liquidation)

Date of receipt: 28/01/2013

Hearing date: 19 July 2013

Hearing venue: Edinburgh Tribunal Centre,
      George House, 126 George
      Street, Edinburgh EH2 4HH

regards

Living life on the Edge
      "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Originally posted by Living life on the Edge View Post
        Hi all,

for information, the Upper Tax Tribunal hearing of the HMRC appeal against the Lower Tax Tribunal decision has been set for 19th July, 2013 in Edinburgh:

Reference no.: FTC/19/2013

Appellant: HMRC

Respondent: The former Rangers
        Football Club Plc (now
        RFC 2012 – in
        liquidation)

Date of receipt: 28/01/2013

Hearing date: 19 July 2013

Hearing venue: Edinburgh Tribunal Centre,
        George House, 126 George
        Street, Edinburgh EH2 4HH

regards

Living life on the Edge

For the avoidance of any doubt, I have received an update from Edge Consulting today in which the 19th July hearing is clarified as a provisional hearing for 'directions' and not the full 'substantive' hearing, which is still expected to be some way off.
        Last edited by Living life on the Edge; 25 May 2013, 00:00.
        "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Comment

Has anyone recieved a reply from HMRC

Hi,

Has anyone received a reply from the HMRC yet from their appeal letters? It seems that these appeals went in nearly 5 months ago. Also what was the outcome from the conference that you guys put together - I missed it and am really interested. I was with Sanzar and got a letter for 2008/2009. Has anyone recieved letters for other years , I have seen some people have for 2010/2011 but I havent seen anyone put anything about 2009/2010 or 2011/2012?

Look forward to hearing from you guys

Comment

Any News -

Guys - I want to join the group so we can fight this thing together and will to contribute to the cause. I am late to the party but am ready. Can the administrator please give me rights to DM so I can get in touch with Michael.

Thanks

Comment

hi there

can i also have DM rights. thank you.

Comment

HMRC backlog of over 40,000 cases

Contractor ebt loan schemes etc will make up a big chunk of this.

If you're under enquiry I'd prepare yourself for it to drag on for many years.

'Political pressure' adds to backlogs at HMRC - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  Contractor ebt loan schemes etc will make up a big chunk of this.

If you're under enquiry I'd prepare yourself for it to drag on for many years.

'Political pressure' adds to backlogs at HMRC - Telegraph
                  Thanks DR. I noticed that there was a recent discussion on the NTRT thread about the relative merits of a certificate of tax deposit versus, say, overpaying a mortgage to mitigate the effects of accruing interest. This is probably something that people should consider if they are in a position to do so.

Ultimately, it is the individual who potentially stands to lose out over the tardiness of processing this backlog

Comment

new HMRC consultation document

Interesting consultation document from HMRC, particularly section 5:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._avoidance.pdf

HMRC are clearly looking at ways to speed up their case load.

Comment

HMRC reply to appeal letter

Originally posted by nubie View Post
                      Hi,

Has anyone received a reply from the HMRC yet from their appeal letters? It seems that these appeals went in nearly 5 months ago. Also what was the outcome from the conference that you guys put together - I missed it and am really interested. I was with Sanzar and got a letter for 2008/2009. Has anyone recieved letters for other years , I have seen some people have for 2010/2011 but I havent seen anyone put anything about 2009/2010 or 2011/2012?

Look forward to hearing from you guys
                      Hi,

I have recieved some letters back from HMRC in response to my notice of appeal.

The first - Summarised HMRC contention of how they feel im wrong, and they are right, and listed the legislation they feel is applicable (and offered to provide me a copy of if requested).

The Second - In response to my request for the additional inforation was almost identical to the first, bacisally summarising legislation and again offering to send me further information.

Niether letters made clear cut demands on when follow up action is required by me. Just placed in writing their position (keeping their foot in the door??).

My intention is to continue assembling advice and information and continue my dialouge with HMRC.

What sort of response are others recieving to their appeals?

Any idea what HMRC are waiting for?? Could it be that they also have holes in their case?

Comment

Working...
                      X