• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creativity View Post
    The best option is to move away (rather than go bankrupt) and not tell HMRC where you have gone. Let them search or sell the debt on - they have six years to find you. Do not tell your neighbours, change your bank and do not give anyone a forwarding address. Don't advertise your new residence on social media sites. Inform your closest relatives not to divulge any information to anyone.

Try not to move to EU, Faroe islands, south Africa or new Zealand as these countries have an MAU with UK so IF the debt collector does locate you they could get in correspondence with you.

Other than that many people successfully leave the UK and all debts behind. I would recommend this over bankruptcy - move away and start afresh - you can always come back in 6 to 7 years! Just don't tell anyone especially ANY government agencies.

Hi DR,
    been a long time, I thought this thread had died. So many forums, so much time wasted on this Tax fiasco made up by UKCorp!
    Are you sure you can leave & debt clears in 6 years including HMRC debt - even if it was made up with time machine?
    I'm thinking of settling, but just revisited this forum, and saw your post. I'm leaving the UK anyway, 2 years overdue unfortunately. I have no intention of coming back to this tyrannical tuliphole.
    I read that 'crown' debt never clears and only NICs are cleared.
    Also, if you have a UK pension, will they not have access to take that away, or if you move it or access it they'll find you?

Comment

P9.5a documents nearly here time is ticking

I Received final confirmation last week that HMRC are going to be sending out the final demands and forcing everyone to make payments regardless if they can afford it or not... HMRC have just won a crucial stage against other offshore EBT models. It is just a matter of time of paying up and why delay the inevitable any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Golddustz147 View Post
        I Received final confirmation last week that HMRC are going to be sending out the final demands and forcing everyone to make payments regardless if they can afford it or not... HMRC have just won a crucial stage against other offshore EBT models. It is just a matter of time of paying up and why delay the inevitable any longer.
        I suggest that the rather dramatic tone and content above might be worth deeper consideration.

To date, HMRC has won two cases on contractor schemes. One was Boyle - special circumstances, the other is Huitson courtesy of retrospective law.

Until a case is "final", i.e. no further appeal can be made, almost all demands (APN excepted) can be postponed until final decision is made in Court or you agree a position.

I'm aware that recently HMRC has decided to issue closure notices on the arrangements used by a major player in this space and that player has set out what their next steps are. They say (correctly) that if demands are issued, they can be stood over (postponed) until the final liability is agreed. That might be years away.

We await the decision in Murray Group (not on the list to be released in the next week). Other than that, whilst we know of some cases going to Tribunal over the next few months, we are not aware of "HMRC having just won a crucial stage" in any hearing and certainly not one that is going to lead to demands that cannot be resisted.

I'm willing to be corrected if evidence can be produced.

Otherwise, these threads have had enough scare stories and predictions of doom and I think everybody here deserves to treated as adults who are capable of understanding a legal and logical process and should not be exposed to speculation that on the face of it has little or no evidence to support it.
        Last edited by webberg; 28 June 2017, 10:59. Reason: spelling
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Why do you care if people pay or not? You come across like a bit of a sad act.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHat View Post
            or Behavioural Insights perhaps?

Comment

HMRC have just won a crucial stage against other offshore EBT models.
              What are you referring to?

Comment

That depends on your appetite to risk. And to fight HMRC over 10+ years....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  That depends on your appetite to risk. And to fight HMRC over 10+ years....
                  Yep, a perfectly reasonable aspect to consider and judgement to make. However, a totally different position to that taken by the individual (or maybe larger entity) trying to scare others into a particular action with his sad act.

Comment

you must be eating your words now?

Now that my previous post has been validated - viz Rangers losing major case. Who is the sad act now ? I pity you ... Please seek some major help . You genuinely need it .. No Disrespects .

Comment

I am glad you concur

Very logical reply . Best

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      I suggest that the rather dramatic tone and content above might be worth deeper consideration.

To date, HMRC has won two cases on contractor schemes. One was Boyle - special circumstances, the other is Huitson courtesy of retrospective law.

Until a case is "final", i.e. no further appeal can be made, almost all demands (APN excepted) can be postponed until final decision is made in Court or you agree a position.

I'm aware that recently HMRC has decided to issue closure notices on the arrangements used by a major player in this space and that player has set out what their next steps are. They say (correctly) that if demands are issued, they can be stood over (postponed) until the final liability is agreed. That might be years away.

We await the decision in Murray Group (not on the list to be released in the next week). Other than that, whilst we know of some cases going to Tribunal over the next few months, we are not aware of "HMRC having just won a crucial stage" in any hearing and certainly not one that is going to lead to demands that cannot be resisted.

I'm willing to be corrected if evidence can be produced.

Otherwise, these threads have had enough scare stories and predictions of doom and I think everybody here deserves to treated as adults who are capable of understanding a legal and logical process and should not be exposed to speculation that on the face of it has little or no evidence to support it.

Comment

Working...
                      X