• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EBT HELL: Assignment Solutions Isle Of Man / Premier Tax Strategies / DMS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
    What do you need them for exactly ? Why would they need to engage with HMRC on your behalf ?
    ..because the nice man who sold me the scheme stressed that in the remote possibility that I should ever by audited by HMRC that I would be fully covered by their tax defence , I would just like to take him up on his offer, If only he would return my calls!!

Comment

Originally posted by FTTM View Post
      ..because the nice man who sold me the scheme stressed that in the remote possibility that I should ever by audited by HMRC that I would be fully covered by their tax defence , I would just like to take him up on his offer, If only he would return my calls!!
      I hope you got that in writing...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Ah I see, give RSM Tenon a shout I'm pretty sure they will pick it up for you.

By the way whatever you do don't entertain any notion of settlement with HMRC, case law is against them on EBT's and they know it.

Comment

yes , I have read a lot of the info on here but there isn't too much about the specifics of this scheme other than that the companies involved have mysteriously disappeared into the ether and as such we don't appear to have anyone engaging with the HMRC on our behalf. I would like to hear from other users ( maybe i should start EBT's Anonymous) so that we can pool our knowledge / resources.
          Somehow I don't think that RSM Tenon (7th biggest firm of accountants in the UK) have mysteriously disappeared at all.

Comment

Just checked their share price on the London Stock Exchange, they're still there OK.

Comment

Rangers FC?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Rangers FC?
                That wasn't anything to do with Premier.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
                  That wasn't anything to do with Premier.
                  Concept not the same tho?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Concept not the same tho?
                    Only in the same way that a Yugo is the same concept as a BMW. 'Concept' isn't what you want in cases like this, it's careful legal planning, and Rangers got theirs horribly wrong. I can't comment on Premier, but lots of firms' clients have had no problems with the use of EBTs whatsoever. The usual suspects will be around shortly to talk about BN66 of course, but as Geoff says above, the case law behind EBTs is very strong, so that there's very little chance of anything retrospective being applied to anybody who used a well run scheme prior to the Disguised Remuneration rules change in December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
                      Only in the same way that a Yugo is the same concept as a BMW. 'Concept' isn't what you want in cases like this, it's careful legal planning, and Rangers got theirs horribly wrong. I can't comment on Premier, but lots of firms' clients have had no problems with the use of EBTs whatsoever. The usual suspects will be around shortly to talk about BN66 of course, but as Geoff says above, the case law behind EBTs is very strong, so that there's very little chance of anything retrospective being applied to anybody who used a well run scheme prior to the Disguised Remuneration rules change in December 2010.
                      Fair enough but I think most of us prefer to walk the line on the 'let's not attract the attention of the HMRC' side, not the 'let's try and take the piss and be a beacon for an investigation' type-scenario....

So Rangers, a plc prolly, or formerly, with proper accountants are largely shiit compared to the tin-pot solutions we have offered here?

Come on....

Comment

Working...
                      X