• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things about to get very serious and much more real? / Felicitas Letters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrsPatricia
    replied
    I’ve gone back through all my paperwork and I did declare everything back in 2019 when I settled. The payments came from a different name on my statements, not Birling, which is where I think the issue has come from. I’ve sent off all evidence again. Don’t expect to hear back anytime soon if last time is to go by.
    I was on one of these schemes for less than 4 months in total back in 16/17. How all these years later it is still biting me in the arse I don’t know.

Leave a comment:

• Monkeypower
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    HMRC have done the same with CK/Boox clients. Many of the assessments were just finger in the air but it appears all they cared about was getting something out before the 5th April enquiry window closed.
    Agree, seen this before, the numbers are made up, or high level estimate based on your income, with some assumptions, so they can open a case, with the case open so they can continue an investigation or review in detail based on your responses.

If they hadn't, they couldn't have gone back again.

I declared everything and settled a few years ago, they then came back 2-3 years ago saying I missed something, I checked and I had declared everything and just showed them that I hadn't from my settlement documentation (via registered Post with back up via email to them), I never heard from them again.

Just work out the quick maths yourself , If XX/XX year I got loans of XX, for XX/XX year I got loans of XX.... add them all up, take approx 45% of this figure as to the tax you didn't pay on the loans.... compare this number to what you might have already settled with HMRC . If its way out, then HMRC are after the balance, if not, just send in all your previous settlement documents etc.
    Remember, they are doing this to make us do the donkey work, not them. We need to prove their number is wrong

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    HMRC have done the same with CK/Boox clients. Many of the assessments were just finger in the air but it appears all they cared about was getting something out before the 5th April enquiry window closed.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsPatricia View Post
    How that is in any way acceptable I don’t know.
    I completely agree. How many others, who may not know they can come here and ask questions, will end up paying far more than they owe just to make it go away?

In your position, I'd get a revised assessment from them, pay the tax and then raise a formal complaint about the way they're assessing tax owed, especially when they dump it on unsuspecting taxpayers with a deadline to pay of just a few weeks. I'd also be getting my MP involved because HMRC are just taking the ****.

Leave a comment:

• Chevalier
    replied
    Originally posted by Rohit View Post
    Hi,

Yesterday i received huge demand of 65k from HMRC ([email protected]). I was using the loan scheme in the year 2012 to 2015

Now they are demanding 65k by 3rd of May 2023.

Any expert suggestion how can i proceed ?

From what you’ve said above you received loans in the 14/15 and possibly the 15/16 tax years which it doesn’t look like you’ve settled.

The loan charge would apply for these amounts, if not otherwise settled and would these loans would be added to your 18/19 taxable income.

If you still don’t recognise the numbers then I would appeal immediately and contact HMRC to discuss how they’ve reached their numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    When I spoke with HMRC they said the amount was a guesstimate based on the average people were being paid through Birling Management. How that is in any way acceptable I don’t know.
    This is perhaps something worth highlighting to the many people across many schemes who have stated that they cannot work out how HMRC have calculated their figures. If they're doing this for one scheme, its likely they'll also be doing it for others. If true, they're effectively making it up and hoping people will just pay. How they can be allowed to do this is unfathomable.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    When I spoke with HMRC they said the amount was a guesstimate based on the average people were being paid through Birling Management. How that is in any way acceptable I don’t know.
    In the rush to meet the deadline (5/4/23) for assessing the 2018/19 loan charge, HMRC will be taking all sorts of short cuts and probably making a lot of errors.

The goal is probably to get assessments out of the door, regardless of whether they're accurate or not.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Rohit View Post

If you've already settled all of the years, then it sounds like they might have assessed you for the Loan Charge in error. The figure will be bigger because the LC taxes all the loans in a single year (2018-19) on top of whatever else you earned in that year.

Go back to them and point out you already settled on X date.

Leave a comment:

• Rohit
    replied

Hi,

Yesterday i received huge demand of 65k from HMRC ([email protected]). I was using the loan scheme in the year 2012 to 2015(Garraway, AML and IQ).

In 2014 September i have received a check of SA tax return from Counter-Avoidance team for the tax year 12-13 and 13-14. I emailed them back and gave all the loan figures which i have received and they re-calculated my tax and additionally i had to pay 18k. I have received the closure statement in which they clearly mentioned the below.

My Decision

Is that additional tax is due on income initially described as loan.

Now they are demanding 65k by 3rd of May 2023.

Leave a comment:

• MrsPatricia
    replied
    I have worked out the issue. I received 3 payments from Birling Management when they swapped me from Infinity totalling around £2k. So tax owed is about £400.
    I had already paid the tax from infinity and had missed these 3 payments.

I have sent my appeal with all documents and offer of paying the remaining tax and interest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X