• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC compliance check s9a - advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC compliance check s9a - advice needed

Completed self assessment received letter today from HMRC asking 21 questions and requesting 17 potential bits of documentation.

1. Do I need to provide this?
    2. What happens if I can’t provide the information e.g contract electronically signed etc
    3. How do i find out who is the trust linked to the scheme
    4. How much tulip am I in
    5. Any other helpful advice

Some more information would be helpful.

Is this related to some umbrella company / loan scheme you have used?

Comment

Yes it is. Was in 2 loan schemes during 2016 - strangely they only want information on one which I was only in for 2-3 months.

Can’t provide half the information but can provide bank statements and original contracts.

Any advice would be appreciated as it seems they have a line of enquiry with the questions for information they have asked.

Comment

More info on s9a here https://www.bkl.co.uk/insights/contr...oan-enquiries/
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Socialsarah View Post
          Yes it is. Was in 2 loan schemes during 2016 - strangely they only want information on one which I was only in for 2-3 months.

Can’t provide half the information but can provide bank statements and original contracts.

Any advice would be appreciated as it seems they have a line of enquiry with the questions for information they have asked.
          I know this won't sound helpful but the best advice, is professional advice. There are at least 2 such people who are very active on this forum that can help you with your specific circumstance. Whilst there is a lot of knowledge and experience on hear, do you really want to reply to an HMRC tax enquiry based on what Joe Bloggs has told you on a forum ?
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Thanks for your advice but to clarify i was seeking basic advice about S9a having gone into panic last night on receiving the brown envelope. I though this forum could assist to maybe ease my fear from my initial questions as have found it helpful in the past.

I have taken time to research today (maybe should have done more of that in 2016) and I will be providing all information requested to the best of my ability,

I don’t believe I need professional advice from the advice I sought at the time I completed my SA which was to declare all income on my self assessment and pay tax due. From the lines of inquiry they are only focused on one which again from research I can speculate.

Thanks for your time

Comment

Working...
            X