• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opted in for CLSO2- but have not heard back apart from auto reply

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opted in for CLSO2- but have not heard back apart from auto reply

Any one else in the same boat? What sort of time frame are we looking at?

Same - I'm assuming they are inundated. I may call them just to be sure

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyg View Post
      Any one else in the same boat? What sort of time frame are we looking at?
      Received mine last week, after submitting back in January, so almost 6 months !
      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
        Received mine last week, after submitting back in January, so almost 6 months !
        What was the response? A settlement form or request for information in a spreadsheet?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyg View Post
          What was the response? A settlement form or request for information in a spreadsheet?
          Final settlement figures.
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
            Final settlement figures.
            What did you have to provide to HMRC to get these figures?

I'm wondering what will happen if we have none of the very old documentation and the scheme provider is long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              What did you have to provide to HMRC to get these figures?

I'm wondering what will happen if we have none of the very old documentation and the scheme provider is long gone.
              I provided them nothing. I just checked the figures they sent to me were what I had received. I managed to get my old bank statements going back to the year I started. I let them do all the work, then questioned them on a couple of occasions when they had them wrong. 2 separate calculations by 2 different HMRC officers using the same information were out by £100k !!!!!!!

Comment

Experiences since registering interest to settle with HMRC

I’m interested to know people’s experiences since registering their interest to settle with HMRC. It might be useful for others in a similar position.

I’ll share mine by way of opening the thread.

BACKGROUND

• HMRC sent me a letter about nine months ago asking for my income for 2012/13 and 2013/14 as they suspected I was using a tax avoidance scheme. In this case, it was Darwin/IQ Contracts.

• Through my accountant, I sent back details of all loan payments made, using bank statements as supporting evidence. HMRC replied in August 2017, confirming they had received the documentation along with a case reference number. This was the last communication I had from them.

REGISTERING INTEREST

• I phoned HMRC a few days prior to the May 31st deadline (as was), quoting my existing case reference number. I asked the member of staff to register my interest to settle.
                • While on the phone, I asked how long it would be before I was issued a settlement figure. He couldn’t advise.
                • I then asked if interest charges would be stopped at the point interest was expressed in settling. He said no. This would only happen once the final figure was issued. However, he did say that an interim payment could be made through a personal tax portal (sorry, I don’t have this info to hand at present) that would reduce potential accrued interest. As I/HMRC don’t know the exactly how much is owed, I could estimate the figure. If I end up paying too much, any overpayment would be reimbursed.
                • To date, I haven’t made any payment.

SINCE THE PHONE CALL

• I haven’t received any correspondence from HMRC to confirm I have expressed interest in settling. This is a little worrying; I imagined this would come through fairly quickly.

What have other people’s experiences been since registering their interest to settle? Have you received correspondence and/or a settlement figure? If so, was it close to the figure you were expecting?

Comment

I registered interest by email and heard nothing, except an auto response. I waited a week.

Then I phoned and registered interest and told someone would be in touch. No email address was taken. I waited a few days and heard nothing.

I then phoned again and registered interest and was told I'd be sent a settlement pack straight after the phone call, which I did receive. I returned this immediately (approx 4 weeks ago now) and have since heard nothing.

Comment

I got an email with the spreadsheet attached last week.

Annoyingly they couldn't even be bothered to get my name right on the email.

Does make me wonder how they can deal with the complicated stuff if the incompetant fools can't even get something basic, like a person's name, correct.

Comment

Working...
                    X