• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Death and Taxes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death and Taxes

https://tinyurl.com/TaxDeath

Looks pretty good. The only bit I'd question is this

"For many it was the only option if they wished to work"

Why would that be, since many contractors worked fine both within IR35 and outside, without using an EBT scheme?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Looks pretty good. The only bit I'd question is this

"For many it was the only option if they wished to work"

Why would that be, since many contractors worked fine both within IR35 and outside, without using an EBT scheme?
      I am sure Phil will comment further - but didn't the BBC force some workers into using EBT? And didn't other agencies?

Comment

The BBC is said to have forced some presenters etc into using a PSC. Whether that is true or not (and I don't know), that is quite different from then going on to use a trust/loan arrangement.

Some agencies are on record for also wanting their individual clients to use a PSC.

The "advantage" of such is a supposed easier ride through IR35. We'll see.

We do have on record communications from some agencies that suggest or recommend that individuals sign up with particular schemes. There are suggestions from some that they and/or an end client would only sign up individuals who used a particular scheme.

The enforceability of that suggestion is debatable.

I suspect therefore that many individuals had a choice of work or no work via that intermediary. If the end client was not prepared to accept not being in a scheme, then in HMRC's view, you should have walked away. I understand that this ignores the practical reality of life, but that is their view.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I don't know what Phil is intending to do with this letter but I would have thought it would be of keen interest to those in our Parliament who passed this wretched piece of legislation.

Maybe this would be a good starting point:

https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...ubmission-form

Comment

Can I send this to my MP please?

he refused to sign the EDM citing the costs to administer etc

Comment

Originally posted by basilspinone View Post

he refused to sign the EDM citing the costs to administer etc
              At least you got a reply. I guess the costs to administer applying this rule outweigh the costs of actually enforcing it.?
              Excellent letter of course but worryingly it cites one suicide attempt too many already. And this is something I can really see escalating further resulting in a succesful attempt at ending ones life.
              To remain clinging to a statement of “This measure is not expected to have a material impact on family formation, stability or breakdown” is laughable. The proof is, that the statment is completely incorrect and is already having an impact.
              I hope the MP that refused to sign the EDM reads that letter and hangs his head in shame....

Comment

Originally posted by basilspinone View Post
                Feel free.

Comment

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
                  Feel free.
                  sent

Comment

I have also sent to my MP along with a load of other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X