• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Template to email your MP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Template to email your MP

Use this to email them.
    https://www.writetothem.com

No harm in keeping it short and sweet.

Dear MP,

I am writing to ask if you would consider signing EDM 1239.

The loan charge will force me into bankruptcy.
    The loan charge will wipe out all our savings.
    The loan charge will mean we have to sell our home.
    The loan charge will destroy any chance I have of retiring.
    I am not personally affected by the loan charge but I know people who are, and the effect on their families will be devastating.

There are people who received loans in the early 2000s who now face a totally unexpected charge for something that happened almost 20 years ago. To backdate a tax charge 20 years is draconian in the extreme.

It was HMRC who proposed the loan charge to the Government but I am not sure they truly comprehend the damage this will inflict on tens of thousands of ordinary people.

Hopefully the EDM will draw attention to what is a terrible situation in the making.

Yours sincerely,

Thank you for the template.

I've emailed my local MP and will monitor his response.

Comment

Thanks I emailed my MP - Boris J ( the Home Secretary )

Dharmin

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
      Use this to email them.
      https://www.writetothem.com

No harm in keeping it short and sweet.

Dear MP,

I am writing to ask if you would consider signing EDM 1239.

The loan charge will force me into bankruptcy.
      The loan charge will wipe out all our savings.
      The loan charge will mean we have to sell our home.
      The loan charge will destroy any chance I have of retiring.
      I am not personally affected by the loan charge but I know people who are, and the effect on their families will be devastating.

There are people who received loans in the early 2000s who now face a totally unexpected charge for something that happened almost 20 years ago. To backdate a tax charge 20 years is draconian in the extreme.

It was HMRC who proposed the loan charge to the Government but I am not sure they truly comprehend the damage this will inflict on tens of thousands of ordinary people.

Hopefully the EDM will draw attention to what is a terrible situation in the making.

Yours sincerely,

Comment

Beware of templates. If MPs become aware that it is a template, they'll treat it with less weight than if you composed the letter yourself.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Dharmin View Post
          Thanks I emailed my MP - Boris J ( the Home Secretary )

Dharmin
          Boris is the Foreign Secretary, not the Home Secretary, that post is currently occupied by Sajid Javid
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Beware of templates. If MPs become aware that it is a template, they'll treat it with less weight than if you composed the letter yourself.
            Indeed. All the templates get bundled together and one generic reply gets sent.

Which is why for the MP committee I wrote my own personal response with no reference to any templates.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Should I send another email?

Or wait until I hear back?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunflowers View Post
                Should I send another email?

Or wait until I hear back?
                I never heard back at all from my MP, emailed 3-4 weeks ago. Will chase him.

Comment

My Letter to MP

Hello all

This what I sent to my local MP (Ruth Cadbury). Not very sophisticated but got her attention and now she has signed up.

"From: "****"
                  Sent: 31 May 2018 19:40
                  To:
                  Subject: THE 2019 LOAN CHARGE (Early day motion 1239)

Dear Ruth Cadbury

Please see the link below and kindly provide your support.

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/1239

This is something that will bankrupt us and in my case I will most probably
                  be ruined completely and left homeless. What HMRC are proposing to do,
                  retrospectively, is unfair. Please look into this and join the other MPs
                  with your support.

I will greatly appreciate this.

Regards"

Comment

Wrote to my MP and although he doesn't do EDM's (waste of administrative money and expense he says), he did write to the treasury.

This is their response.

I feel a robust reply to Mr Stride coming on

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6owvyv3kl...e001a.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzh112vt64...e001b.pdf?dl=0

Comment

Working...
                    X