• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Write/email your MP asking them to support EDM 1239

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget to extend your thanks to everyone who has signed you can do this via twitter even if you are not their constituent.

Comment

Got this reply!

"Good Morning,

Thank you for your email regarding EDM 1239 ‘The 2019 Loan Charge’.

The 2019 Loan Charge has been introduced by the Treasury to tackle disguised remuneration tax avoidance schemes through which loans were paid instead of regular forms of remuneration in order to avoid income tax and national insurance contributions.

The loan charge applies not just to contractors, but to all users of disguised remuneration schemes across all sectors. The loan charge will be applied only to disguised remuneration loan balances which remain outstanding on 5th April 2019.

Those who will have an outstanding balance at that time can avoid the loan charge by repaying the loan, replacing it with commercial lending or agreeing a settlement with HMRC.

The SNP has led the fight in Westminster against tax avoidance and evasion and supports efforts to ensure those who have avoided tax through these disguised remuneration schemes pay their fair share for the public services we all use.

Having had to be dragged by the SNP into accepting the need to tackle the use of Scottish Limited Partnerships as money laundering vehicles and considering Magnitsky Powers to sanction overseas officials guilty of human rights violations, the UK Government must for once take decisive action, ensure any lost revenue is recouped by HMRC and that users of disguised remuneration schemes do not receive an effective tax cut through soft settlements.

I trust that this is helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of further assistance in this or any other matter.

With best wishes.

Yours sincerely,
      "

Comment

Sent an email to my MP 2 days ago, raising concerns both about the Loan Charge 2019 and proposed 'reform' of IR35 for the private sector. Here's his response.
        Labour.
        Dear NAME,

Thank you for your email.

I am currently making some enquiries with HM Treasury regarding the concerns you have raised in your email below.

As soon as a response has been received I will be back in touch.

In the meantime, if there are any further issues you wish to bring to my attention please don't hesistate to get back in contact.

Kind regards
        NAME MP

Comment

When I asked my MP to sign the EDM, here was his response...
          Thanks for responding.

I won't sign the EDM at the momen as they really don't serve any purpose. I would rather get a formal response from the Government and the Minister than signing the EDM.

I hope that's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotslaw View Post
            When I asked my MP to sign the EDM, here was his response...
            Thanks for responding.

I won't sign the EDM at the momen as they really don't serve any purpose. I would rather get a formal response from the Government and the Minister than signing the EDM.

I hope that's ok.

Did you ask him how he would be getting a formal response, and how it would differ from Mel Stride's template answer here https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans...914#g146722.r0 ?

(which BTW has over 700 negs now)

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Did you ask him how he would be getting a formal response, and how it would differ from Mel Stride's template answer here https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans...914#g146722.r0 ?

(which BTW has over 700 negs now)
              Here's a part of my response to this note...

"I look forward to hearing what HM Treasury say about the proposed legislation.
              I suspect they are likely to respond with the same lines they have included in the consultation and policy papers and press releases. They might skirt around and gloss over the human impact of the Loan Charge, be blind to the wider implication of the IR35 reform and only talk about what both these things mean to the immediate bottom line of the Treasury.

I am confident that whilst they might be able to use platitudes to satisfy many people, they will find enough of us who will ask the important questions persistently and will call them to account!"

Comment

No point in asking the MP's, they are all busy with Brexit!

let HMRC take its time in the investigation

Comment

3 weeks now and still no reply to my email from my MP

Comment

Headspin--if no reply after 2 weeks its time to get a bit more stern with them if you have the time.

Are the on the committee for work and pensions (or some sort of title as such?) That group has been looking into the matters of the IR35 and tax avoidance. I just found out that my MP is on it and I suspect that is why he hasn't replied. He has always responded to my emails in some way.

If you have time...check out when their surgeries are on and visit. They can not hide from you then. That is my next move.

Comment

Worth checking their surgery times and appearing in person if the emails do not yield a response
                      Also it may be possible to arrange to see them at the HOC

Comment

Working...
                      X