• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC settlement Deadlines/delays and the LC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calmbeforethestorm View Post
    I wasn't taking any advice from them.... no reason to on the whole loan issue, I was merely passing on their comments.....frankly Im staggered that so few have registered.
    My post wasn't aimed at you personally, just in general
    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      The article is from September 2017. Legislation appeared in final form some months after that.

I can see no distinction in the legislation between pre and post December 2010 loans. If you can show me that, I'll happily eat humble pie.

I think the author was trying to get to what might be a sensible settlement position and in doing so, mixed legislative rules with practical matters and produced a reasonable suggestion but not for the reasons indicated.

There is no guarantee of accuracy or integrity in any article or post on this website or any other in this area. Most of us try to say what we genuinely believe to be correct and in areas like this where interpretation can shift as more is understood, it would be sensible to go to the very latest views and if necessary subject it to a third party review.
      That being the case surely this article needs to taken down?

Comment

Originally posted by uppoocreek View Post
        That being the case surely this article needs to taken down?
        I'm sure that the article was written in good faith and reflected the analysis and view at the time. As such, viewed in context, it's absolutely fine.

Like I said, tax law and interpretation does not stand still. Often an announcement is made that owes more to political headlines than legislative accuracy and creates situations in which it's very easy to report what HMRC (or others) think a policy means, rather than wait for the rules to appear.

You should always look for up to date information and verify it if you can.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
          I'm sure that the article was written in good faith and reflected the analysis and view at the time. As such, viewed in context, it's absolutely fine.

Like I said, tax law and interpretation does not stand still. Often an announcement is made that owes more to political headlines than legislative accuracy and creates situations in which it's very easy to report what HMRC (or others) think a policy means, rather than wait for the rules to appear.

You should always look for up to date information and verify it if you can.
          I am sure you can see the confusion and false hope to people who are already trying to hang on to deck chairs will the band plays. Not a personal attack on you just frustration that even here there is misinformation and inaccurate posts.

Comment

Originally posted by uppoocreek View Post
            I am sure you can see the confusion and false hope to people who are already trying to hang on to deck chairs will the band plays. Not a personal attack on you just frustration that even here there is misinformation and inaccurate posts.
            I think this highlights the point that people shouldn't rely on forums for advice. Getting in contact with a professional tax advisor is the only sure way of getting enough information to make an informed decision.
            STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
              I think this highlights the point that people shouldn't rely on forums for advice. Getting in contact with a professional tax advisor is the only sure way of getting enough information to make an informed decision.
              Even that is not a complete solution in this mess. I've engaged two and spoken to at least 5. The advice has not been consistent between them. So who knows ...

Comment

In a perfect world, tax law would be clear when published and all advisers would have the same opinion.

Unfortunately tax is a political football that often has the rules changed at half time by HMRC and in which the question of offside - as decided by advisers - will turn on the finest margins.

Certainty is desirable but not possible.

That is not the fault of advisers or commentators but rather the system and the fact that HMRC often does not know how tax law works but always go for the result that produces maximum tax.

As above, you have to take views from a number of sources and decide which one makes most sense - even if it's one that is not the least expensive.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I completely agree.... and the position is made worse still by the fact that HMRC probably dont really know what the legislation says or means either and no one there is in charge or can/will give a definitive view.

Comment

As per the gov site it states that all the information should be given by 30th Sep otherwise the settlement may not be reached before the loan charge is decided. I guess that really puts the responsibility on us, regardless if we receive any settlement packs or not??

Comment

Originally posted by Iter View Post
                      As per the gov site it states that all the information should be given by 30th Sep otherwise the settlement may not be reached before the loan charge is decided. I guess that really puts the responsibility on us, regardless if we receive any settlement packs or not??
                      What is a settlement pack.
                      I have emailed them twice, then I called, only to find that they could find my emails, when I gave them the dates in march, but did not find any more info on what was happening.
                      The guy was helpful and I have since sent some figures.
                      But I have never received any pack.

Comment

Working...
                      X