• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC asking for 12 year window to raise assessments involving offshore transactions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC asking for 12 year window to raise assessments involving offshore transactions

Currently the time limits are 4 years in general, and 6 years for carelessness.

https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/tax/...rm=Read%20more

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
    Currently the time limits are 4 years in general, and 6 years for carelessness.

https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/tax/...rm=Read%20more
    Ta for posting, not sure if you’re aware but I’m the author of that article. Managed to sneak in a comment regarding the LC towards the end!
    For the main topic - Clearly the 12 years required to ‘gather information’ is a crazy time limit.

Comment

Well that's a nice 'Get out of Jail Free' card for HMRC, which will cover them for sitting on scheme enquiries for the last 10+ years already !!!!

Otherwise known as 'Covering your tracks !!'
      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
        Well that's a nice 'Get out of Jail Free' card for HMRC, which will cover them for sitting on scheme enquiries for the last 10+ years already !!!!

Otherwise known as 'Covering your tracks !!'
        Thanks for posting - very interesting article.

I would like to ask for some clarity though - if HMRC have opened an inquiry on a particular year within the two year limit (ie before 31st January two years after the return for that year in question was submitted) do they have a time limit in which they must conclude the inquiry?

I always assumed that opening the inquiry then allowed them as long as they wanted before making a decision.

Comment

Others will be more qualified to go into more detail, but I believe a closure notice is required to bring the enquiry to an end. But you are correct, as history seems to show HMRC hold all the cards and drag it out.
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
            Others will be more qualified to go into more detail, but I believe a closure notice is required to bring the enquiry to an end. But you are correct, as history seems to show HMRC hold all the cards and drag it out.
            Whilst technically correct, they can’t just drag an enquiry out without good reason and you can apply to tribunal to request a closure notice. The tribunal would then look at what they have done so far and decide whether it’s reasonable to allow them more time. I’d suggest that to convince a tribunal that closure is required then evidence of the ‘dragging out’ would need to be strong. It has happened though so not impossible at all.

Comment

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
              Whilst technically correct, they can’t just drag an enquiry out without good reason and you can apply to tribunal to request a closure notice. The tribunal would then look at what they have done so far and decide whether it’s reasonable to allow them more time. I’d suggest that to convince a tribunal that closure is required then evidence of the ‘dragging out’ would need to be strong. It has happened though so not impossible at all.
              In my case I have 2 consecutive years where HMRC opened enquiries for tax years in the mid-2000's and said they did not intend to ask me any questions at that time as they were talking to my former employer. I have had no updates or further contact from them in relation to the enquiry(s) but they are still open.

Any thoughts? Ask them to put up or shut up, request tribunal for closure notice or let sleeping dogs lie?

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post
                In my case I have 2 consecutive years where HMRC opened enquiries for tax years in the mid-2000's and said they did not intend to ask me any questions at that time as they were talking to my former employer. I have had no updates or further contact from them in relation to the enquiry(s) but they are still open.

Any thoughts? Ask them to put up or shut up, request tribunal for closure notice or let sleeping dogs lie?
                what are the enquiries in relation to? Payments that can be hit by the LC?

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post

The worst thing is that you will be liable for interest for all the time the enquiries have been open, even though it's HMRC's fault for not communicating with you.

Comment

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
                    what are the enquiries in relation to? Payments that can be hit by the LC?
                    No - not a loan based scheme. And there has been NO communication about any liability.

Comment

Working...
                    X