• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension contributions can be used to relieve LC19

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regron View Post
    The big question I would like answering is whether or not the demand that comes, will be subject to appeal. A question I have also put to HMRC and await a response.
    Why would it be subject to appeal?

The LC circumvents all rational law. HMRC have engineering this wrath to force you to disclose any outstanding loans you have. Therefore, the demand that results from LC disclosure is based on the numbers you have given. So logically you cannot appeal the tax demand that is based on your own numbers.

Unless you're talking about the demand to provide LC information. But it's too late for that, going by everything we've been told.

Nuts in a vice. Something will crack soon.

Comment

The Loan Charge information must be provided to HMRC after 5 Apr 2019 and before 1 Oct 2019.

The required information is:

Employee - para 35D
      https://publications.parliament.uk/p...90151_en_7.htm

Self-employed - para 23
      https://publications.parliament.uk/p...90151_en_8.htm

I can't find what happens after you've provided this. Do they send you an assessment?

Comment

Do pension contributions have to be to a UK provider to relieve LC19?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Why would it be subject to appeal?

The LC circumvents all rational law. HMRC have engineering this wrath to force you to disclose any outstanding loans you have. Therefore, the demand that results from LC disclosure is based on the numbers you have given. So logically you cannot appeal the tax demand that is based on your own numbers.

Unless you're talking about the demand to provide LC information. But it's too late for that, going by everything we've been told.

Nuts in a vice. Something will crack soon.
          In the same way Discovery Assessments can be appealed. I am hoping for a better resolution than the LC as I simply cannot afford it. Therefore if HMRC say the LC demand cannot be appealed, then Im might as well push the BR button now, rather than wait as I will be timed out from being able to bring any other alternative conclusion to all this mess.
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
            Do pension contributions have to be to a UK provider to relieve LC19?
            I don't think so.
            https://www.gov.uk/guidance/overseas...-contributions

There's a list of recognised overseas pension schemes (ROPS), by country, here:
            https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-notifications

Probably best to contact your pension provider.

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
              In the same way Discovery Assessments can be appealed. I am hoping for a better resolution than the LC as I simply cannot afford it. Therefore if HMRC say the LC demand cannot be appealed, then Im might as well push the BR button now, rather than wait as I will be timed out from being able to bring any other alternative conclusion to all this mess.
              I really doubt you can appeal the LC payment but you might get some kind of TTP agreement. It might still be better to go the BR route but only you can decide that. You have time to get your affairs in order before you apply for BR, so plan wisely.

It's a real sh1tstorm this. The whole country is in a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post

You pay a pension contribution of say £120k.

And how much pension would you be able to contribute if you at the time LC19 kicks in is a non UK resident and havent lived in the UK since 2014?
                Last edited by EBTContractor; 23 March 2018, 22:48. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
                  And how much pension would you be able to contribute if you at the time LC19 kicks in is a non UK resident and havent lived in the UK since 2014?
                  Happy to be corrected but I believe ‘nil’. I think you can only use foreign pensions if you have moved back to the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
                    Happy to be corrected but I believe ‘nil’. I think you can only use foreign pensions if you have moved back to the UK.
                    I have a UK pension and can make contributions from a UK bank account if that makes a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
                      The Part 7A tax charge is employment income and so relevant UK income. Or in other words you can delete "-ish" as it counts in the same way as normal pay.
                      Does that mean that everyone, UK resident or non-UK resident, will be given the same annual current maximum pension contribution of £30,000 in 2018/2019?

Or will everyone, UK resident or non-UK resident be allowed to carry forward any unused allowances from the 3 previous years totaling £120,000 in 2018/2019?

Comment

Working...
                      X