• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sympathy for the Devil

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Phil, a bit of friendly well meaning advice. If were you and your name really is Phil M, I'd ask one of the mods to change it for you. Though, I am almost certain one of them will be contacting you shortly any way. HTH.
    Hi, thanks for this. It is ok as PhilM is not my real name.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Don't plug your business.

So, why did you leave HMRC to join one of the big 4? More money, or simply PWC and the like have better ethical standards?
      There is admittedly more money in the big 4 but also I became bored and frustrated at the decision making within HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Do you think the landscape has changed since you left such that your advice could be out of date?
        Ive remained within the 'tax world' and therefore aware of all legislation updates etc. Clearly things within HMRC may have changed but I haven't seen anything to indicate that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Don't plug your business.
          Why is one ex-HMRC employee allowed to plug his business all over this forum and another one not? As Phil has experience with APNs I'd say he's in a much better to advise then old let's draw this out to line my pockets Webberg.

Comment

Originally posted by Cityampm View Post
            Why is one ex-HMRC employee allowed to plug his business all over this forum and another one not? As Phil has experience with APNs I'd say he's in a much better to advise then old let's draw this out to line my pockets Webberg.
            I've been mentioned and will respond.

I have no idea who the OP is, no reason to disbelieve him, no ability to decide who the mods will permit to use the forum. If he has ideas that can help, good for him.

I would though like to understand why you think we are drawing matters out and especially why you think this lines my pockets?

We offer a service. That is based on a strategy. Call us and we will explain it and the timescale. If you wan to join us, great, we charge a fixed fee regardless of how long it takes. If you decide that another adviser can achieve something quicker, better, more suitable, great - go with them.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Cityampm View Post
              FakeHorizon - You're back!! Do we have to put up with your drivel again?

How long before we have to deal with your misogynistic rantings and you get banned again?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilM View Post
                Please allow me to introduce myself....as an ex HMRC Tax Inspector. Not only that but a senior inspector on the first APN team back in Dec 14. So...any questions fire away.
                A bit of background...I left HMRC a couple of years back to join a big 4 firm. Now set up my own firm offering advice/assistance to anyone in need of it regarding all HMRC issues/enquiries. . Willing to answer any general queries on here. I don't really have time to go into great detail into anybody's specific cases but will spend an hour or so in evenings responding to any questions best I can.
                Phil. Welcome.
                Anyone who can shed some light into this would be useful, although I fear you are arriving a bit too late to be of much use.

If you are genuine - may I suggest you reach out to WTT and see if there's some common ground here?

Comment

Phil:

Tax is supposed to be certain. It certainly isn't, when it comes to HMRC.

Whose crack-riddled brain did the 2019 Loan Charge emanate from?

Going back 20 years and charging tax on closed years. Even though HMRC had all the tax returns and information they needed all that time, had they bothered to look.

How is it that the 2019LC has become law in a supposed first-world country?

Comment

Is HMRC obsessed with wiping out Baxendale-Walker? They don't seem to like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Not Losing Any Sleep View Post
                      Is HMRC obsessed with wiping out Baxendale-Walker? They don't seem to like him.
                      I think its more likely that they are just being (imo) ridiculously aggressive to anyone that has promoted schemes. My own opinion on the last few years is that HMRC recognised a need (and were set targets) to bring in more money. To achieve this, It seems to me (and again, its only my opinion and im not stating this as fact as I simply don't know it to be so) that they used media to alter public perception on any tax planning to try and convince the world that it was ALL evil and corrupt and anyone who ever promotes (or even uses!) such a scheme should be punished. The problem is that they have swept up all schemes with the same brush.
                      They have dealt with schemes that years ago were considered just fine in the same manner as schemes which were always hugely aggressive attempts to avoid tax. The fact that they have continually won in the courts has enabled this to continue.

So in short and to answer your question, I don't think, and ive seen nothing to suggest, its as personal as an anti Baxendale - Walker (or indeed any other promoter) attack.

Comment

Working...
                      X