• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New scheme doing the rounds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New scheme doing the rounds

You have two employers, a UK company and a German company. Most of the remuneration is received as tax free expenses (Per Diem) from the German company. Supposedly this is allowed because it's an offshore employment.

There's a PDF flowchart here showing how it "works".

http://www.files.com/set/5a63069c6ce49

What could possibly go wrong.

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
    You have two employers, a UK company and a German company. Most of the remuneration is received as tax free expenses (Per Diem) from the German company. Supposedly this is allowed because it's an offshore employment.

There's a PDF flowchart here showing how it "works".

View File Set | Files.com

What could possibly go wrong.
    All the money is connected with your UK employment. The Germany entity is a relevant third person. The payment by the German entity is a relevant step. You'll pay employment income tax on the money from the German entity. It should be DOTAS-ed because of the employment income hallmark. GAAR will apply (100% penalties). It's offshore so there is requirement to correct / failure to correct for the past (200% penalties). You won't collect £200? No lube will be supplied.

Did I get it right?

Comment

I would find it impossible to advise a client that the arrangement had any realistic prospect of achieving its aims.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        I would find it impossible to advise a client that the arrangement had any realistic prospect of achieving its aims.
        I could advise a client such a scheme would achieve its TRUE aim.

Fleecing the gullible of their cash. Safe in the knowledge that some people will do NO research first. And when the fraud is reported to HMRC, they will do nothing. And if the net ever closes in, they can clear off safe in the knowledge they cannot be touched. Rinse and repeat.

Such people are the 2nd lowest of the low. The lowest are of course HMRC themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
          All the money is connected with your UK employment. The Germany entity is a relevant third person. The payment by the German entity is a relevant step. You'll pay employment income tax on the money from the German entity. It should be DOTAS-ed because of the employment income hallmark. GAAR will apply (100% penalties). It's offshore so there is requirement to correct / failure to correct for the past (200% penalties). You won't collect £200? No lube will be supplied.

Did I get it right?
          Bugger me you really do like tax don't you

Comment

RT scheme

I've heard about Remuneration Trust schemes operated via a limited company where they pay less corporation tax amongst other benefits - are these genuinely legal, just dosen't make sense. Has anyone come across these schemes?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonJones View Post
              I've heard about Remuneration Trust schemes operated via a limited company where they pay less corporation tax amongst other benefits - are these genuinely legal, just dosen't make sense. Has anyone come across these schemes?
              Was it this one? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-t...g-spotlight-40

Comment

Originally posted by SimonJones View Post
                We have examples in our files of such a scheme.

We believe that this type of scheme has a number of difficulties and we have recently seen HMRC issue Reg 80's on them.

It is worth mentioning that the promoter sees absolutely no issues and produces some very bullish statements and responses to HMRC that might best be described as "robust".

Time will tell.

Certainly we will not recommend any client use this type of scheme.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                X