• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How far will HMRC pursue the debt if you don't pay an APN?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far will HMRC pursue the debt if you don't pay an APN?

In a situation where you don't have anywhere near enough funds and could only TTP over many, many years.

Has anyone got any first, or second, hand real life experience of this?

Raid your bank accounts?
    Take you to County Court?
    Petition for bankruptcy?

Thanks
    NS

Thank you for asking this

Originally posted by ns1 View Post
    In a situation where you don't have anywhere near enough funds and could only TTP over many, many years.

Raid your bank accounts?
    Petition for bankruptcy?

Thanks
    NS

Have nothing to add, but am following this thread with interest - my / our situation very similar. HMRC asking for massive sum .... in what, now 25 days and they have disregarded my husband's recent statement of liabilities. Sorry to hear you are facing it too

Comment

Why not just IVA yourself? Declare yourself bankrupt and start again.

Comment

I have heard a rumour HMRC are taking court action.

Might be worth seeing your GP if you are under stress?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Why not just IVA yourself? Declare yourself bankrupt and start again.
          I've got equity in a jointly owned property. Not enough to cover the APNs but we don't want to be forced to sell at the moment.

The APNs are over £100k. I've got about £15k in savings and could just about afford a TTP of £500/month which would take 15 years that I know HMRC won't accept.

Comment

I've got equity in a jointly owned property. Not enough to cover the APNs but we don't want to be forced to sell at the moment.

The APNs are over £100k. I've got about £15k in savings and could just about afford a TTP of £500/month which would take 15 years that I know HMRC won't accept.
            Get divorced and give everything to your wife. Better than HMRC getting it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Get divorced and give everything to your wife. Better than HMRC getting it.
              That apparently won't work now. You can't use divorce to deprive HMRC of your assets.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Raid your bank accounts?
                Petition for bankruptcy?

Thanks
                NS
                If you have any assets HMRC will ask (tell ?) you to sell it, including your house. I'm not sure if this include pensions.

One of the sociopaths working at HMRC told a friend roughly 7 years ago when she enquired as to how they can finance their settlement, if they have a house they have to sell it. I would say that since then the people working at HMRC got even more ruthless.

Also as to taking "legal" action so you do not have the money to pay e.g. divorce, change ownership of e.g. house, making large gifts etc. My understanding (and I'm not a legal or tax person so ask an expert) is they will investigate and if they find you deliberately did this to avoid paying, they will come down on you like a ton of bricks.

I just wonder how HMRC will look at (go after) people that buy physical gold, silver or crypto currency (e.g. Bitcoin). HMRC can't raid you bank account or house (? . . . . I guess they will send the fuzz around) to get it. This however is extremely risky and you may have to leave the UK to avoid jail.

Note, I did not do this and I do not advise doing it. I'm just pondering ideas.

Bottom line, if you have it HMRC will find it and take it. If you don't have it, HMRC will take what is left of your future. We are talking HMmafia here.

People should remember every election when they vote for ANY of the big (old) political parties, this is the corrupt system they vote for. Only now that system came to destroy us.

It does not matter which party is in charge, the constant is the civil service (HMRC). Our goose is cooked.
                Last edited by HMRC made Atlas Shrug; 26 November 2017, 11:33.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  That apparently won't work now. You can't use divorce to deprive HMRC of your assets.
                  Note: HMRC can only lay claim on half the equity if a property in joint names.

Comment

Originally posted by demby View Post
                    Note: HMRC can only lay claim on half the equity if a property in joint names.
                    Sorry. Wrong. If you are married you are jointly liable for any tax liability. That is all the equity where applicable.

Comment

Working...
                    X