• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing opened years - is this possible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing opened years - is this possible?

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Yes they do have their futures to sort out and if they follow what you have suggested they are going to regret it for the rest of their days...

We have on here 2 people who know more about this topic than probably anyone except for a couple of people in HMRC yet you continually argued that they know less than you do...

So don't worry I will continue to point out that you know far less than you think you do until the day you leave this forum and go elsewhere. or a mod asks me to stop (and I strongly suspect that won't occur)..
    anyone actually involved in this matter, which does not affect you one bit, will see I'm only posting what I've been told by the company offering this 'opportunity', nothing I've posted on here is in any way, shape or form my own opinion.

Just to help you get over yourself, I personally will not be taking up any of the 'offers' made to clear loans via Venturis, other than a small loan I cleared to check whether any of this was valid. I'm lucky I don't have to. Others are not so fortunate, any wise words you can give to them? 22k posts, I'm sure one of them will eventually be worthwhile.
    Last edited by cojak; 23 September 2017, 13:50. Reason: No winking in Professional forums

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      You are quite right eek, it won't occur.

FakeHorizon - put eek on your Ignore List. He won't follow you around then.
      If I put him on my ignore list, he won't be able to see my posts and troll me?

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
        FakeHorizon, seriously you need to take a chill pill. With all due respect, you are coming very late to the party and a lot of people have already gone through, what you are going through now.

Take a deep breath and realise you are mostly amongst friends. Advice is there to be taken or otherwise, either choose to ignore it, question it, or embrace it. However, please don't berate it, or the people that give it.
        i've been reading this forum for years but none of the threads actually affected me, so unlike fr-eek, I didn't chip and troll anyone. The Horizon settlement stuff is the first time I've thought about getting involved, so I did. I get what you're saying about friends, but unfortunately there are quite a few on here who are quite happy to see people suffer for decisions taken many years ago. fr-eek is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by FakeHorizon View Post
          i've been reading this forum for years but none of the threads actually affected me, so unlike fr-eek, I didn't chip and troll anyone. The Horizon settlement stuff is the first time I've thought about getting involved, so I did. I get what you're saying about friends, but unfortunately there are quite a few on here who are quite happy to see people suffer for decisions taken many years ago. fr-eek is one of them.
          I'm not sure that's right because if you had read this site for years and knew what happened to the BN66 lot you would know why my viewpoint is what it is. HMRC will change laws and play very fast and very loose to ensure they get what they want. Hence:-

1) I don't want ill-informed people such as you given them false hope
          2) I don't want people posting ill informed gibberish and ideas which could (especially if bridging loans were involved) result in 2 lots of tax possibly being due rather than one.. Especailly when they are suggesting given the scam merchants who sold these schemes to begin with (or their friends) more money.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If I put him on my ignore list, he won't be able to see my posts and troll me?
            You won’t be troubled by him any longer...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

the tax. obviously that's just an example number, as it will be a lot higher with interest etc for open years but for my closed years, which HMRC know nothing about, I'd expect to pay 20% via what webberg has described as a 'voluntary payment'.
              Unless your loans for the closed years are less than the PA plus basic rate, after adding other income, your tax rate will be partly at 20% and partly at a higher rate (40% or more).

This is the tax.

The interest will be added.

Talking of a 20% rate for most people with loans of more than say £30,000 in any one year, is inaccurate and likely to create confusion. Each year needs to be looked at and calculated at it's own rates.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                Unless your loans for the closed years are less than the PA plus basic rate, after adding other income, your tax rate will be partly at 20% and partly at a higher rate (40% or more).

This is the tax.

The interest will be added.

Talking of a 20% rate for most people with loans of more than say £30,000 in any one year, is inaccurate and likely to create confusion. Each year needs to be looked at and calculated at it's own rates.
                Interest on closed years?

I feel this is unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I feel this is unlikely.
                  I wouldn't be that surprised if interest on closed years ended up being required due to phrasing within the act... It's not as if the people who will be voting on the act understand the minutiae of the detail....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I feel this is unlikely.
                    True and for a long time this was not the case.

We are though starting to see it appear in HMRC calculations and refusing to pay it (more precisely asking HMRC why it can be charged) results in them picking up their ball and going home.

In my view this is unfair pressure on taxpayers.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      We are though starting to see it appear in HMRC calculations and refusing to pay it (more precisely asking HMRC why it can be charged) results in them picking up their ball and going home.
                      In other words HMRC have completed their transition from a legally-bound tax authority to an extortion operation / mafia.
                      I like when things are clear.
                      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
                      X