• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2019 Charge - bear in mind when looking at any scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Charge - bear in mind when looking at any scheme

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/disguise...s-spotlight-39

The above is a masterpiece of weasel words and uncertain meaning but appears to be targeting at least two suggestions we've seen about how to potentially deal with the retrospective charge.

The principle that is behind the suggestion here may also arguably spell trouble for at least one other arrangement we have seen.

If you are looking at a means to avoid this charge please bear this statement in mind and if you have any doubt at all, go and get some UNBIASED advice.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

From my perspective, there are no weasel words or uncertain meanings. It seems very clear and explicit.

This comes hot on the heals of the first GAAR advisory panel opinion concerning EBTs and gold. Now that is very interesting and likely to have very many consequences for people trying to side step the current legislation and the new April 2019 loan charge.
    Last edited by Iliketax; 11 August 2017, 13:21. Reason: Spelling

Comment

A) I thought technically it isn't law yet so how come they just presume it will come in (of course it will) but when you speak to HMRC they are careful of how they describe it.
      B) I thought they weren't loans anymore anyway after the SC ruling and it ain't DR either..

Comment

Why does this article imply that the loan charge is applicable to the employer rather than the employee?

https://home.kpmg.com/uk/en/home/ins...gislation.html

(see towards the end)

Comment

Employers with EBTs (and the trustees of EBTs) with outstanding loans to beneficiaries that have not already entered into EBT settlements with HMRC will want to consider how to respond to the loan charge now that further details are available.

HMRC are no longer accepting settlements!

How do they get away with this?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Why does this article imply that the loan charge is applicable to the employer rather than the employee?

https://home.kpmg.com/uk/en/home/ins...gislation.html

(see towards the end)
            You'd have to ask KPMG but I guess it is because their clients tend to be employers. The bit about "and monitor developments on the transfer of liabilities" says it may well be about employees (in that the PAYE liabilities may be transferred to employees.

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
              A) I thought technically it isn't law yet so how come they just presume it will come in (of course it will) but when you speak to HMRC they are careful of how they describe it.
              As they probably read this forum, I'd guess that they responded to criticism that they were too late warning people about dodgy schemes. So they decided to be a bit more proactive.

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
              B) I thought they weren't loans anymore anyway after the SC ruling
              Er, no. If you were lent money there is still a loan. If tax has already been paid on it (or the money going into the trust or sub-trust) then the April 2019 loan charge won't tax it again.

Comment

Working...
              X