• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MP Greg Mulholland. EBT mis-selling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    Arguably PAC forced Hartnett to resign over his dealings with a well known bank.

They also managed to spectacularly confuse Ms Homer on a number of occasions.

The big difficulty is that HMRC always has the "taxpayer confidentiality" argument to hide behind.
    The biggest difficulty is that when parliament have HMRC issues pointed out to them they do nothing.

Comment

My view is this and it is QC Approved
      After the decision in Huitson and thereafter in allied cases and appeals it became clear that retrospective legislative action was likely to make it through the courts no matter how sound the "planning" or "structure".
      A number of devisors exited at that point as they knew this.
      Promoters continued regardless often by offering the self employed benefit trusts thereby offering something that was likely to be attacked restrospectively. In my view that's mis-selling.
      It is a bandwagon that needs to roll and there is an opportunity for any politician to get behind it and raise their profile perhaps.

Comment

Agreed - I have written to my MP who has replied and has taken this wholly unreasonable litigation up with the Chief Secretary to the treasury. Suggest all those that can do the same to increase the volume.

Comment

Originally posted by UnixRat View Post
          Agreed - I have written to my MP who has replied and has taken this wholly unreasonable litigation up with the Chief Secretary to the treasury. Suggest all those that can do the same to increase the volume.
          Has this made any progress?

Comment

Originally posted by Clairol View Post
            Has this made any progress?
            Lobbying MPs was tried with NTRT and got nowhere. HMRC run parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Lobbying MPs was tried with NTRT and got nowhere. HMRC run parliament.
              Not quite HMRC has managed to frame this debate so that the public sees anyone who used a tax avoidance as a cheat who should have paid the correct / fair amount of tax... Hence MPs really won't vote against this part of the act for fear of annoying their constituents...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
              X