• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

APNs £200k - is there a safe place abroad to run to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APNs £200k - is there a safe place abroad to run to?

Apologies as this has no doubt been discussed in length before but I can't seem to find any clear answer here or via Google on the topic of fleeing to another country where HMRCs powers are limited and they have no power to legally recover what they think is owing against APNs issued.

The amount I could owe come April 2019 will bankrupt me without a doubt. Becoming bankrupt is the only option on the table for me currently. However immigrating, assuming I can get the required visa's etc is another I'd like to weigh up.

Is anybody aware of any countries HMRC cannot pursue or recover what they consider to be owing via APNs? Places I would consider are Hong Kong, Moscow, Australia, Canada, Dubai.

Originally posted by Overit2017 View Post
    Apologies as this has no doubt been discussed in length before but I can't seem to find any clear answer here or via Google on the topic of fleeing to another country where HMRCs powers are limited and they have no power to legally recover what they think is owing against APNs issued.
    So you thought it's best to ask on a public forum notoriously scouted by HMRC? Ok...
    I suspect you're not going to get many answers here. You'll probably have more luck on private forums such as Big Group. I'd suggeste joining when it reopens later this month.
    In the meantime, do your homework on topics such as MARD and tax residency rules.
    Last edited by DotasScandal; 11 April 2017, 13:36.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

I was told by someone in the know that there are plenty of countries that are out of reach of HMRC.

HMRC's tentacles do not extend anywhere near as widely as they'd have you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
        I was told by someone in the know that there are plenty of countries that are out of reach of HMRC.

HMRC's tentacles do not extend anywhere near as widely as they'd have you believe.
        Yeah - fun places like Columbia, Patagonia, North Korea, assorted African backwaters. And, of course, you can never move back here or anywhere else vaguely civilised, including the OP's original list....
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Yeah - fun places like Columbia, Patagonia, North Korea, assorted African backwaters. And, of course, you can never move back here or anywhere else vaguely civilised, including the OP's original list....
          Not only.
          Plenty of 1st world countries to choose from (as long as you stay clear of the Five Eyes). However surprising it may be to inhabitants of Brexitania Island, not all places in the free world are dominions of Empire 2.0.
          PS: Patagonia is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
            So you thought it's best to ask on a public forum notoriously scouted by HMRC?
            Nobody really knows if this is true though do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Overit2017 View Post

The amount I could owe come April 2019 will bankrupt me without a doubt. Becoming bankrupt is the only option on the table for me currently. However immigrating, assuming I can get the required visa's etc is another I'd like to weigh up.

Is anybody aware of any countries HMRC cannot pursue or recover what they consider to be owing via APNs? Places I would consider are Hong Kong, Moscow, Australia, Canada, Dubai.
              Moscow isn't a country....

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
                Nobody really knows if this is true though do they?
                Yes they do as HMRC have apparently quoted posts from CUK during court cases.

Also as stupid as they are I don't think they are stupid enough to not use CUK as a resource, makes there crappy jobs easier.

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
                  HMRC have apparently quoted posts from CUK during court cases.
                  "Apparently", exactly my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
                    "Apparently", exactly my point.
                    It's a pretty damn 100% certain "apparently".
                    Just ask NTRT.

Comment

Working...
                    X