• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just a heads up that Money Box (Radio 4) are covering this in the next 1/2 hr.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New investigation relating to 08/09?

I'm new, hello world.

Last week my accountant got a letter from HMRC suggesting what advice they might give to their clients who are being investigated. It was in relation to "Serial Tax Avoidance Legislation: effective from 15 September 2016."

When my accountant asked which of their clients HMRC had in mind, their answer was... me.

The trouble with that is, I'm not being investigated - not so far as I know anyway - and I certainly haven't participated in serial tax avoidance.

The only tax scheme I've ever been involved in was a three month period in 2008/09. The scheme was run by Sanzar. I've tried to find the paperwork related to it but struggled. My recollection is that it involved loans, but (a) I've never had a loan statement and (b) the illustration rubbishes the competition for using loans and explains that there will be partnership income. So, maybe I got that wrong. Whatever, at the time, I disclosed everything via the tax return (with support of accountant). I didn't learn of the DOTAS reference until later but also sent that in as soon as I did.

I've not heard a pip from HMRC since, apart from my accountants getting this letter more than seven years after filing the tax return.

Then I hear this story on Radio 4.

Obviously the next step is we've asked HMRC what they're talking about.

In the mean-time though, does anyone know what the modus operandi is here? Any suggestions where to go to get help?

Thanks
    Dozy

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      To bypass the investigation phase. HMRC want to be able to say you owe us £200,000 unless you proof otherwise rather than having to do the actual leg work and doing the investigation first...
      However, with the "Accelerated Payment" wheeze, plus Direct Recovery of Debts (DRD), they can charge you upfront for anything they want, without any recourse to anybody except themselves and then help themselves to the contents of your bank account.

HMRC will helpfully tell you that there is no right of appeal to an accelerated payment notice, therefore you are at their mercy.

If HMRC should get it wrong, they will also helpfully point out that due to a recent court case, they DO NOT owe you a duty of care.

Oh - if you don't pay, they will charge you penalties, even if it turns out you didn't actually owe them anything. Again, very helpfully, HMRC get to keep these penalties.

It's just bad luck.
      Last edited by flamel; 21 March 2017, 12:04.
      Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
      http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Dozy Bastard View Post
        I'm new, hello world.

Last week my accountant got a letter from HMRC suggesting what advice they might give to their clients who are being investigated. It was in relation to "Serial Tax Avoidance Legislation: effective from 15 September 2016."

When my accountant asked which of their clients HMRC had in mind, their answer was... me.

The trouble with that is, I'm not being investigated - not so far as I know anyway - and I certainly haven't participated in serial tax avoidance.

The only tax scheme I've ever been involved in was a three month period in 2008/09. The scheme was run by Sanzar. I've tried to find the paperwork related to it but struggled. My recollection is that it involved loans, but (a) I've never had a loan statement and (b) the illustration rubbishes the competition for using loans and explains that there will be partnership income. So, maybe I got that wrong. Whatever, at the time, I disclosed everything via the tax return (with support of accountant). I didn't learn of the DOTAS reference until later but also sent that in as soon as I did.

I've not heard a pip from HMRC since, apart from my accountants getting this letter more than seven years after filing the tax return.

Obviously the next step is we've asked HMRC what they're talking about.

In the mean-time though, does anyone know what the modus operandi is here? Any suggestions where to go to get help?

Thanks
        Dozy
        This may well be unrelated to Sanzar. If it does, they are going back more than 6 years. HMRC would have to prove you had received money. Even if it was a loan, after 6 years it can't be claimed back.

Maybe SAnzar have shopped you though?

Comment

Originally posted by Dozy Bastard View Post
          You are far (FAR!) from alone.
          You have been groomed by HMRC, and now is harvest time:
          A can of worms
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Some of us have been dealing with this for a number of years now.
            Sanzar like most promoters registered their scheme for DOTAS and therefore everyone who employed them were disclosed to the HMRC at the time. When HMRC get their 2019 finance bill (well actually the government's) pass they will come calling for interest payments from you since 2008 (or as far back as 1999).

You are lucky not to have had an APN where you have 90 days to pay them anything they think you owe, usually with an unrealistic time to pay if ,as most people, you can't pay the amount immediately. You will have no choice, no innocent until proven guilty, and HMRC may well come back and ask for more as this is only a payment on account.

Your best bet is to join Big Group when it reopens in April as they have been very helpful and there are over 1000 members all in a similar (and most in a much worse) position to yourself.

Comment

Working...
            X