• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from HMRC demanding 40k!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter from HMRC demanding 40k!!!

In shock. Received a letter from HMRC demanding 40k in additional tax from 2012-13 because they believe I was part of a contractor loan tax avoidance scheme. I was in such as scheme which was falsely sold to me but in the tax year 14-15, not 12-13.

I do not understand how they have come to this 40k figure, has anyone else received such a letter? I only have 30 days to pay or to appeal.

Which scheme were you in? Have you searched CUK for similar schemes? What do the scheme provider say?

In general most on loan schemes are joining big group.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Which scheme were you in? Have you searched CUK for similar schemes? What do the scheme provider say?

In general most on loan schemes are joining big group.
      It was called red stone

The thing is for the year they are coming after me for I wasn't in it. I can prove this with bank statements.

Comment

Here you go then. Good number of threads on Redstone.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Re...obile&ie=UTF-8
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm not very good at navigating this forums as I have a disability

I just want to know if HMRC will revise their figure if I can prove I wasn't earning what they think I was

Comment

Ah sorry. I can't help with that. I'm sure someone will be along to help shortly.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HebdenMole View Post

I just want to know if HMRC will revise their figure if I can prove I wasn't earning what they think I was
              You need advice from someone and as BP stated above the default advice is to join Big Group but they are not accepting new members until April. As such my advice would be to visit https://www.wttconsulting.co.uk/wttbiggroup which contains the big group joining details and call WTT on the number at the top. I'm sure they can quickly tell you what you need to do...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

In shock. Received a letter from HMRC demanding 40k in additional tax from 2012-13 because they believe I was part of a contractor loan tax avoidance scheme. I was in such as scheme which was falsely sold to me but in the tax year 14-15, not 12-13.

I do not understand how they have come to this 40k figure, has anyone else received such a letter? I only have 30 days to pay or to appeal.
                What type of letter is it ? I am guessing by the dates it may be a Discovery Assessment ?

If so, then you can send an appeal letter in to stop the clock (interest still accrues though). This will give you time to then assess the situation, give yourself time to gather all the necessaries and respond.

However, as has already been advised, if you act quickly (as in now !) and call WTT, then they will be able to give you the correct and proper advice once you have disclosed all the information that you don't really want to be doing on a forum that HMRC read.

No excuses for repeating this....but call them NOW !
                STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

As I've said elsewhere, WTT Big Group is presently closed (reopens 6th April) but WTT Consulting is very much open.

Whether you choose to call us or somebody else - get proper, unbiased and clear advice.

As said above though, you have a discovery assessment and you need to appeal within 30 days.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Do HMRC know you have a disability? They can often give extra help.

Comment

Working...
                    X