• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40,000 people to be hit by loan charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40,000 people to be hit by loan charge

I don't think the 40,000 includes self-employed loan schemes, like Montpelier's, which come under a separate measure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eration-update

Impact on individuals, households and families

This measure is expected to affect up to 40,000 individuals who have entered into disguised remuneration avoidance schemes. Some of these individuals will be unable to repay the loans, agree a settlement with HMRC before 5 April 2019, or pay the loan charge arising on 5 April 2019. The government anticipates that some of these individuals will become insolvent as a result.

This measure is not expected to have a material impact on family formation, stability or breakdown.
    Last edited by Loan Ranger; 6 December 2016, 08:46.

Some nice spin there....

The government anticipates that some of these individuals will become insolvent as a result. But this measure is not expected to have a material impact on family formation, stability or breakdown.

Yep, don't let becoming bankrupt impact your family stability.

If I see my MP in the street, I plan to smack her in the face.. but I dont expect this to have an impact on any level of her comfort.

Comment

The "this measure is not expected to have a material impact on family formation, stability or breakdown" is recurrent and appears in each one of their mock cosultation responses.
      I think it's some sort of running joke in Gauke's clique.
      They are laughing to our faces.
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Bunch of <mod snip>!! So what are the government doing about Panama, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands?? The tax avoidance schemes that MPs use !!! Absolutely nothing. Amber Rudd was mentioned in the Panama papers again a few weeks ago and we hear absolutely nothing about it. The British government is implicit in this. They will do nothing about tax avoidance on British territories because it benefits them. They will only go after the small man because we are not privileged enough. We are nothing to them !!!

Comment

I personally are putting off getting married, having kids or even start a business. As I am potentially be homeless as I might need to sell the flat and might need to leave the country where is lower taxes so I can recover from this..

Comment

Originally posted by philinlondon View Post
            I personally are putting off getting married, having kids or even start a business. As I am potentially be homeless as I might need to sell the flat and might need to leave the country where is lower taxes so I can recover from this..
            Up to you, but I think it's the wrong approach.
            Don't let the faceless bureaucrats in HMRC control your life. It's too short.

Comment

Originally posted by philinlondon View Post
              Phil, best not to share your plans with HMRC as they watch these boards. I think PM is safe here

Comment

I wonder if all of this has had any impact on the family of that fella who killed himself...

Comment

Hi

I've just read that and am not clear how the loan charge will apply if you have already taken settlement, but the loans remain outstanding

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Hi
                    I've just read that and am not clear how the loan charge will apply if you have already taken settlement, but the loans remain outstanding
                    Any ideas?
                    No charge for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X