• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Views on HMRC sheme enquiries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Views on HMRC sheme enquiries

For many contractors unwittingly or otherwise caught up in the Schemes under dispute with HMRC such as EBT loans. The current landscape is looking a little bleak.

I wondered how this might feed into other contractor's opinions regarding the upcoming EU referendum and wanted to express my own views.

In my mind certainly, voting to stay in, is voting for the status quo – Nothing will change for us and the HMRC juggernaut will continue to steamroller contractor lives and those of their families.

On the other hand Brexit would mean a shakeup for the Economy, All Government Departments (HMRC), Probably Scottish Referendum, and a massive Legal System review – Lawyers are already planning how they would need to rewrite everything to disentangle us from EU influence should voting dictate this (There are only so many legal professionals and there are Many tax cases in a queue). Yes there could be a few years of chaos and re-ordering but sometimes it is important to sweep away the old and replace with something better. At the very least it could buy contractors facing financial uncertainty/ruin more time to plan ahead and secure their futures.

Contractors are the most flexible workers in the UK and will move wherever the work is. Who knows a shakeup could well change the political landscape to one that is more favorable to our plight. The tax system needs reform to a more forward looking outlook (more prevention and less retrospective litigation/action) There also needs to be a greater apportionment of any blame/liability from the past. This should be shared between HMRC/Government/scheme users and scheme promoters. An amnesty and a new start would be are brightest hope/best option all round. Anything we can do that might make that more likely I would be in favour of. For instance New Leadership in the form of Borris Johnson/Someone else or a resurgent Lib Dem party holding the balance of power again may have a more sympathetic ear for our views/situation but who knows really, but it's important to create a space so that positive change can happen. I know I'd be firmly behind anyone who would take up this cause. No one knows what the future holds but everyone has influence.

Yes this would be single issue voting but for many here this is the only all-consuming issue of their lives right now.
    I'd be interested to know other people's views on the matter. And who knows this idea might catch on – If you like it please feel free to re-post on other boards or pages here.

It would sadden me though to see George Osbourne's (The architect of so much of our misery) plans to become PM, punctured so cruelly.

Whatever people decide our community is a powerful set of analysts, thinkers, communicators and wealth generators and we have influence on other voters that we can discreetly choose to exercise through friends, family, colleagues, and to reach out with our views on social media. This vote will be very close and we may find that we hold some sway on this vote and future votes. Working as a group we could have the same influence as Google/Facebook who seem to be far better treated by HMRC than us resident/voters? And a final thought the true value of facebook/google/Internet - is content. People with IT skills and passionate ideas can shape the future. So build a websites/create a blog and make yourselves heard! EU – I'm OUT! Let's sweep out the old and make a space where anything is again possible.

In my mind the alternative now is to just be a sitting duck.

Absolutely agree.

There will be a mountain of legal work to go through in the event of a Brexit.

There will be more money in the government's coffers as they won't be paying into the EU.

There will be much bigger fish to fry.

I am in. Or rather OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomandjerry View Post
      Absolutely agree.

There will be a mountain of legal work to go through in the event of a Brexit.

There will be more money in the government's coffers as they won't be paying into the EU.

There will be much bigger fish to fry.

I am in. Or rather OUT.
      People will be as dumb as always, thats for sure.

Comment

The project fear campaign is trying to stoke many into thinking the status quo is okay, that the system is working and some bits need tinkering. I think the greatest fear is staying in.

The EU project is leading us all into oblivion. The structures are 50yrs out of date, it really is a Soviet Union model and everything that works against enterprise and helping foster dynamism. The United States want us to stay in because they would like to keep the UK in check, they know how the UK could return to a more prosperous and energised economy, being in the EU keeps us tied up and trapped.

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
        ― Mikhail Gorbachev

The only way REAL change will come about in the UK's economic and political establishments is for us to vote to leave. We need overhauls of many of the facets of the UK, the tax system for a start, and the judiciary, and changes will not come about if we stay in the EU project.

There is a uniqueness to the "psyche" of Britain, history has proved we can be imaginative and dynamic, but only when we have the freedom to express ourselves. Change comes from within, we are all being lied to if you think the EU will change. It's EU expansion is it's downfall, like all empires they crumble or lead to conflict. People who want to stay have given up and find comfort in being part of a large collective.

A vote to leave is a positive statement to the rest of the World that Britain has changed it's course and is ready to embrace a new future.
        http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

In, out, shake it all about? Either way, HMRC still run the government.

We are still f00ked.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            In, out, shake it all about? Either way, HMRC still run the government.

We are still f00ked.
            There'll be a new empire, so to speak, with Boris / Trump at the helm. The worm Gauke and his HMRC will still be skulking about stealing your money to ingratiate themselves with 'Brump', the multi billionaire.
            Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
            http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Only way to hit back at Cameron, Osborne and Gauke is a vote to Leave the EU.

It will make Cameron resign, take Osborne out of the leadership race, and Gauke will have lost one battle.
              http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Agreed. Vote them out

Comment

I'd go one step further... A lot of people here should have the motivation to go out and convert the undecided.

Comment

June 23rd

On June 23rd we have a chance to hit back at George Osbourne.

Older Voter are more likely to vote for Brexit. So I'm going to take a day off to ferry them to the polling stations.

Gauke, Oz and cam out!

Comment

Working...
                    X