• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does the Google case set a precedent for negotiation regarding APN's?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the Google case set a precedent for negotiation regarding APN's?

This got me thinking that if Google are able to negotiate their payment down from £2billion to £135 Million should these rules not be applied to contractors in exactly the same situation?

Is there a legal case to be made here?

Originally posted by nad76 View Post
    This got me thinking that if Google are able to negotiate their payment down from £2billion to £135 Million should these rules not be applied to contractors in exactly the same situation?

Is there a legal case to be made here?
    Yes if you can generate hundreds of millions in taxes.

Comment

Not legally nor morally.

The Google money is a political bribe to be allowed to stay in the UK and continue to pay tax at less than 2% of profits.

It makes my heart glad though to see Osbourne's cocky declaration of "his triumph" run so quickly to condemnation from all sides, the French being the latest to accuse him of setting up the UK as a tax haven.

Unfortunately a tax haven that has to rob citizens to allow multinationals to stay.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

No, Google are using legal loopholes that have not been retrospectively changed, you evaded tax you just didn't know it at the time!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
          Not legally nor morally.

The Google money is a political bribe to be allowed to stay in the UK and continue to pay tax at less than 2% of profits.

It makes my heart glad though to see Osbourne's cocky declaration of "his triumph" run so quickly to condemnation from all sides, the French being the latest to accuse him of setting up the UK as a tax haven.

Unfortunately a tax haven that has to rob citizens to allow multinationals to stay.
          Osborne.

Comment

[QUOTE=SimonMac;2200991 you evaded tax you just didn't know it at the time![/QUOTE]

Don't think thats quite right is it?

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              There was a programme on BBC2 about the Cayman Islands.

Although they have "no tax", what they mean is "no income/profit tax" - they have huge consumption taxes, which are very regressive as even basic foodstuffs cost many times more what it would cost in London.

Comment

FYI:

PM Forced To Defend Google Tax Deal

Comment

Originally posted by fielder View Post
                  And called it "fair".

Unbelievable hypocrisy.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

It's going to be investigated apparently

HMRC and Google bosses set to be investigated by MPs and the EU over 'sweetheart' tax deal - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                    X