• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MP who used loan scheme accused of hypocrisy over tax avoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cliffordthedog View Post
    Webberg

They may be confidential, but could an FOI request ask how many registered MP's have an open enquiry for tax avoidance.
    Just a thought.
    Personally I would say, don't waste your time.

What actually is "tax avoidance"?

I've been doing this for 40 years and I would not suggest a definition, so putting that into a FoI is going to be tricky!
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      Personally I would say, don't waste your time.

What actually is "tax avoidance"?

I've been doing this for 40 years and I would not suggest a definition, so putting that into a FoI is going to be tricky!
      I know I am probably going to show my ignorance here. But could you asking how many current or former MPs have APNs against them?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I know I am probably going to show my ignorance here. But could you asking how many current or former MPs have APNs against them?
        I'm not sure HMRC would be able to easily cross-reference the APNs against the criteria "former MPs" - certainly not within the £600(?) limit for FoI enquries.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnieboy View Post
          I'm not sure HMRC would be able to easily cross-reference the APNs against the criteria "former MPs" - certainly not within the £600(?) limit for FoI enquries.
          The data is all in one place (Public Department 1, Ty Glas, Llanishen, Cardiff).

Collating the data would not be difficult or expensive.

Condientiality however is a much more difficult question.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I sent this FOI request to HMRC on Tuesday -

"In light of the recent news stories about Phil Boswell MP using the "Hyrax" tax avoidance scheme, please can you send me a list of all other current MPs who are using or have previously used a mass marketed tax avoidance scheme"

Yesterday they replied by email with a boilerplate response basically telling me they couldn't give me the information if asked for due to data protection.

I'd argue that knowing the tax affairs of our MPs is in the public interest. If they want everyone to pay their "fair share", then at the very least they should demonstrate that they are prepared to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by rcgeorge23 View Post

"In light of the recent news stories about Phil Boswell MP using the "Hyrax" tax avoidance scheme, please can you send me a list of all other current MPs who are using or have previously used a mass marketed tax avoidance scheme"

Yesterday they replied by email with a boilerplate response basically telling me they couldn't give me the information if asked for due to data protection.

I'd argue that knowing the tax affairs of our MPs is in the public interest. If they want everyone to pay their "fair share", then at the very least they should demonstrate that they are prepared to do the same.
              Well done for trying.

I bet if a few years ago someone had requested the same about MPs expenses it would have been denied due to data protection...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I bet if a few years ago someone had requested the same about MPs expenses it would have been denied due to data protection...
                That's what did happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...al_proceedings

Comment

There is precedent for getting stuff like this but it requires a lot of time and effort and a willingness to persue it though the courts. Thats what happened with the expenses scandal. Although irrelevent in the end it went to the Information Tribunal, was then appealed and eventually upheld. Parliament had already agreed to release the information by the time the final appeal was heard.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Did you do that via whatdotheyknow.com?
                    If not (as I think), I would suggest making the request through that channel again. They will normally respond with the same boilerplate response you got already. Then, you can follow up by questioning it.

We can then link to the "conversation" and start publicizing the matter.

How does that sound?
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Done.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...utgoing-500756

Comment

Working...
                      X