• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Garraway Limited 13-14 enquiries. Anybody else?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all.

I'll probably get bashed as there's likely a thread about this somewhere already. Apologies if that's the case.

I recently received a Compliance Checks Series CC/FS1a document from HMRC requesting a heap of information about finances & the scheme I was involved in with Garraway Limited.

I've tried reaching out to them to find out their position on these checks to no avail. I'm not sure if they're still operating as I can't reach anyone by phone or by email.

I just wanted to see if anyone else from Garraway had received these letters and if so, what they were doing, or alternatively what the general consensus was concerning such letters.

I personally just assume be done with the headache of going back and forth with HMRC & settling. Would this be ill-advised?

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Scribble Squad View Post
    Hi all.

I'll probably get bashed as there's likely a thread about this somewhere already. Apologies if that's the case.

I recently received a Compliance Checks Series CC/FS1a document from HMRC requesting a heap of information about finances & the scheme I was involved in with Garraway Limited.

I've tried reaching out to them to find out their position on these checks to no avail. I'm not sure if they're still operating as I can't reach anyone by phone or by email.

I just wanted to see if anyone else from Garraway had received these letters and if so, what they were doing, or alternatively what the general consensus was concerning such letters.

I personally just assume be done with the headache of going back and forth with HMRC & settling. Would this be ill-advised?

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I'm mobile at the moment so cannot find the link - but doubtless someone will be along in a minute to give you the link to join the private forum for Sanzar/Garraway etc. You should also consider joining "Big Group".

In the meantime - no, you are not alone...

Comment

Thread for Sanzar here:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...gh-sanzar.html

Thread for Big Group here:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...big-group.html

Link to read more about Big Group and to sign up, in my signature below.
      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Actually it's a link to Dotas Scandal in your sig
        Big Group is here
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Both sites worth a look ;-)
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

I had a letter quoting section 9a, with about 6 questions. With one question asking for a breakdown of loans and with bank statement showing the loans.

I have contact contractor help desk where they said I have 3 options:
            1. Respond to HMRC with the information that is within your possession at this time. You would not be expected to provide them with what you don’t hold. Before providing anything it is important to remember that at this time this is an informal (i.e. it is not a Section 36, see below), voluntary request for you to provide information. Anyone wishing to provide information voluntarily should first consider the implications of choosing this option as it will likely lead to a clutch of follow up questions.

2. Do not respond to HMRC. As the scheme you used was DOTAS registered, then the issuing of this enquiry simply enables HMRC to issue an Accelerated Payment Notice (APN) at some point in the future. We think it unlikely HMRC would resort to a Section 36 (which is where they formally ask you to provide the info) as we expect they will know that much of what is being asked for cannot be provided. HMRC might well write to you again to chase, and if they do then please let us know.

3. You could be provocative and go back and ask HMRC to explain why they feel they need all this information. For example why they are asking questions around the amount of loans received when they will have already been provided with a P11D by your employer. You may or may not receive a response from HMRC to your questions. At the present time this is what we see the majority of contractors choosing to do.
            I have seek advise from an independent tax advisor

I also seek advise from an independent tax advisor of which they said the information they asked was "reasonable". After a bit of thinking I just reply their letter via email and had given them the information, I don't have much spare money left (I paid 3 yrs of APN) to pay the tax adviser £360 for them to write me a letter of which I have to provide them with the information anyway.

My reason for doing this is because I am not providing anything new to them in my opinion:
            1. my loan amount reconciles to my P11D,
            2. on my tax return SA return did quote the SRN (scheme reference number)
            3. I rather be a bit helpful to them now than them having the potential to launch a formal inquiry with me of which I haven't hide anything from them from day 1 - I could've evaded with an offshore scheme
            Last edited by philinlondon; 1 December 2015, 22:21.

Comment

Originally posted by philinlondon View Post
              I had a letter quoting section 9a, with about 6 questions. With one question asking for a breakdown of loans and with bank statement showing the loans.
              [/LIST]
              I think the options given are reasonable although I also think that they contain some inaccuracies.

Generally, if you are asked for factual information by HMRC, then respond with the FACTS.

Explain the source of the FACTS.

If HMRC ask you for opinions or your motivations in joining/leaving certain arrangements or for your analysis of tax situations, politely decline. You cannot be expected to volunteer analysis.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                I think the options given are reasonable although I also think that they contain some inaccuracies.
                Would you advise against option 2? This is what I chose to do in January when asked about 12/13... not sure what to do with the 13/14 questions I have just received. Obviously, I'm in no hurry to get an APN

Just trying to get the necessary documentation together to join BG too

Comment

Originally posted by jonnieboy View Post
                  Would you advise against option 2? This is what I chose to do in January when asked about 12/13... not sure what to do with the 13/14 questions I have just received. Obviously, I'm in no hurry to get an APN

Just trying to get the necessary documentation together to join BG too
                  I can't advise on anything as you're not a client.

My opinion is as above. Supply FACTS but nothing else. Do not venture opinions, motivations or reasons why you did/did not undertake the arrangements.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                  X