• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Avoidance Deals to be Done ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
    Please send this to the Treasury, lol, do they realise the costs are horrific
    Seriously though, having a breakdown of costs should be emailed to all Conservative MPs.
    Not only Conservative MPs - all MPs. And I'm also completely serious.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      Not only Conservative MPs - all MPs. And I'm also completely serious.
      Part of BIG GROUP is arming critics of the Government (in all colours, shapes and sizes) with this sort of data PROVIDED that it can be verified and supported.

The first step is to get an MP to ask a question about how much settling the 60,000 disputes will cost HMRC and how long it will take.

Once the opposition has settled down, we will find a sympathetic ear or two and prime them.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        However a sensible settlement offer at say 50% of the tax due (most would take that I suspect) but at perhaps 25% of the costs, says they collect £62 per £1.
        In my opinion, most wouldn't take that 50% of tax claimed (NOT "tax due") - especially the viewers of these boards, for two reasons:

(a) Primarily because they couldn't. Most scheme members (not just IT contractors, but also investors in film schemes, health care workers, pro footballers, etc.) were in these schemes for several years, and the amounts of tax claimed are very much more than could be found by either liquidating investments or working under some "time-to-pay" for a year or two, and

(b) Because they wouldn't - it's a bit like vountarily accepting a jail term for a crime you know you didn't commit - and saying "thank you very much for the opportunity to go to jail for a reduced amount of time - that's very kind of you".

Personally, I would settle for 15%-25% of the amount claimed from me, payable over five years - with NO admission of any wrong-doing ...

BTW - There was a "straw poll" on these boards before Xmas regarding the ability of people to pay expected APNs. I'd be very interested to see a similar poll along the lines of:

"For your own individual case, if HMRC were willing to make a deal, what would you be able (or prepared) to settle for:

(1) The full amount, payable immediately or over 2 years
        (2) The full amount, payable over 5 years
        (3) 50% payable over 5 years
        (4) 40% payable over 5 years
        (5) 25% payable over 5 years
        (6) 10% payable over 5 years
        (7) Nothing - HMG and HMRC can stick their "claims" up their respective jacksies - I'm prepared to fight it out through the legal system

I'd also hope that any HMG/HMRC bods reading the results of such a poll might be inspired to make the appropriate suggestions to their superiors ...
        "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next ..."

Comment

Amen to that

Expecially:

Originally posted by dangerouswhensober View Post
          b) Because they wouldn't - it's a bit like vountarily accepting a jail term for a crime you know you didn't commit - and saying "thank you very much for the opportunity to go to jail for a reduced amount of time - that's very kind of you".
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
          X